Thread: Win mod 70 Classic SS

Default Win mod 70 Classic SS

I just picked up a Win mod 70 classic SS in 300 win mag for about $550.00. I paid $590.00 with a free box of ammo. I am trying to come up with a good scope and mount. I was thinking this would be my all weather and long range rifle. Do you think the Bushell Elite 4200 2.5 to 10 with firefly and rainguard would make a good scope for this rifle? Is the firefly and rainguard any good?
    The rifle also came with a Leupold STD 1 piece base. Is the mount strong enough for the 300 win mag or should I change?
    One more question. Is there a good form fit recoil pad made for the Winchester stock?

The Leupold mounts are great and there are a couple good pads for the gun. X-coil and Sims are two I have used.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

You got a very good buy. I have always gone with Leupold scopes. I have a 3x9 on my M70, 300, SS. Works well. Enjoy your new rifle. J.

I was never a fan of Leupold mounts. I would toss em and add a nice set of 2 piece lightweight Talleys that include the rings and mounts in one package.

I have a Bushnell Elite w/Firefly and it works pretty good on my .300WM. When and if I would rescope it I would stick a Nikon w/bdc on it. But that Firefly works good at dusk when the bigboys tend to show themselves. But I've only shot up to a 47.5" bull with it so far, maybe next year.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default My own rig...

My own .300 Winchester is a twin to yours, nice rifle, I've really really enjoyed mine. Fairly light, really accurate for a hunting rig, and fits me well after I bobbed an inch off the buttstock. On mine, I elected to go with the two piece Leupolds, gives me a bit more room for access to the top of the magazine. Used a Leupold Vari-X III 3-9 on it in Leupold rings, and haven't bothered to touch the setup since 2003.
    I ended up with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12X40 in a trade awhile back. It's now sitting on a 7X57 Mark X Whitworth. Does a good job on that rifle. Does not have the Firefly reticle, but the rainguard does seem to work fairly well. I thought it was just another Bushnell scope till I got to using it and did a bit of research. A lot nicer scope than I'm used to seeing with the Bushnell name on it, what I would've expected to see Bausch & Lomb name on......

Well I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm off ebay for a price I could not pass up if anybody is interested. The 40mm will be a better fit with low mounts to the classic stock and this is going to be a long range shooter which means a daylight shooter. When it's close to dark and you need a 50mm objective you will not be shooting long distances. Because of this I think a 40mm objective will be the best fit. I just hope the 3 power is not too strong a power when hunting in bear country when I come up in a few years. Do you think this is a good decision for Alaska ?

Thumbs up go shooting......

You have a good set up that will work well in the hunting fields. Give some thought to some iron sights from New England Custom Guns and some Warne or Talley bases and quick detach rings.

Quote Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
    Well I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm off ebay for a price I could not pass up if anybody is interested. The 40mm will be a better fit with low mounts to the classic stock and this is going to be a long range shooter which means a daylight shooter. When it's close to dark and you need a 50mm objective you will not be shooting long distances. Because of this I think a 40mm objective will be the best fit. I just hope the 3 power is not too strong a power when hunting in bear country when I come up in a few years. Do you think this is a good decision for Alaska ?
    3-9 power variable scope is probably the most popular scope in Alaska. Actually, probably in all of America. I think you're good to go. I killed a Kodiak brown bear with a fixed 6 power Leupold not too long ago and did not feel handicapped at all, nor over-powered.