Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help, son's first bear--beer provided

Default please help, son's first bear--beer provided

anyone gonna be up for a while I need some help skinning my son's first bear and don't wanna mess it up for the taxidermist. I heard there are a couple cuts that kinda have to twist around the leg slightly. I know it's late but have a nice warm garage and a couple beers for anyone willing to help before I mess it up 907-357-6795 It's in my truck and I am iff of seldon and wasilla fishhook

I've never shot one, never had the urge, but figured I'd take him since he wanted one. I had a blast watching him get his first critter besides birds and bunnies.

Default skinning

just a thought, can you call or take him to the taxiermist? If not I would get a hold of http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=36591 ? I think he had a thread offering help

Default bear

im at work right now or i'd help you out. sorry use the hunting guide or check youtube maybe someone posted a video on how to do it.... or just google it
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Default Thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!

thanks for the calls and replies, It's nice to know you can reach out for help and everyone chips in. Found someone to help me do it.

Tried to call no answer.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Sorry

sorry JKB that I missed your call, I was in the middle of getting help from one of the many calls that I got. Thanks for giving me more info when I called you back. And again thanks to everyone that helped out.

I love this place.
    Not a single soul said "you should have thought of that before he shot it", everyone just tries to help. There is a reason this is my favorite place on the web.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Bear skinning

where do you live. I can help but I am at work in Valdez today until 1830 and then I will be driving to Anchorage tonight. I used to be a full time Taxidermist.... Let me know.. 907-306-0811

I could have done it myself and was fully prepared to do so, but I have heard horror stories of taxidermists having to fix messes due to some bad cuts. I have no problem case skinning the critters I trap, hooping my beavers, skinning moose and caribou. I just wanted it to come out as best it could so I wouldn't be standing at the taxidermist explaining why I cut this way and not that. I had two diagrams sitting in front of me but figured why not try and get help from some folks that have done quite a few. Looked simple but didn't want to jump the gun. So I had already "thought of that first" but started second guessing myself. I have helped new trappers out that way, they didn't want to butcher their first skins. You can do allot of reading but things look a little different with a critter hanging in front of you and you are trying to remember all the details that the fur buyer wants. I would rather have someone walk me through it than butcher my sons bear.

BOWBENDER, thanks for the reply. I found someone to help me through it and I had pretty much the right idea. What I was worried about was the back legs because I am used to going from the heel straight across to the other heel not going through the groin area. One diagram showed coming down the side of the pad half circling the ankle and working your way to the groin area. So I started second guessing things.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Arrow, its a great thing you got the help you needed and the rug did not waist...

I only have one question

got any of THAT BEER left?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    So I had already "thought of that first" but started second guessing myself.
    Arrowslinger, hope you didn't take my comment as a slam, as I compltely understand your position. I really meant what I said about the folks here & wasn't condeming your actions or belittleing you. I'd be in the same spot. I can do a munk, beaver, coyote, moose, etc, but I've never done a bear before. I could get the hide off, but a taxedermist would definetly cringe when he saw it
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Thanks........

went over to the guy's house who offered to help me tonight. Had the bear cooled down very well last night and all day today. She still had frost on her when I left for his house. He goes by BLINK on this site. What a great guy. I am glad I didn't do it the way I was thinking of and waited. I think I was taking a little too long on my side and his wife came out and showed me how it was done. She is a very nice and knowledgeable lady. Been doing taxidermy for quite some time. Anyways, she grabs a knife and in half the time it took for me to get part of a side done she had that hide off, skull out and was showing me all the tricks for ears, nose, lips and paws. She told me how to take care of it if I was in the field for a week or longer or if I was going to be at the taxidermist in a day. She showed me how my bear would have come out if I did it the way I was thinking and what it would have taken to fix it. She had a very nice bear rug that she was in the process of working on and I hope my son's comes out looking like that. Thank you for the help BLINK and tell your wife thanks again for me.

Thumbs up Alaskans helping Alaskans

It doesn't get any better than this....

BTW the worst part is the paws. If you are uncomfortable with doing them, let your taxidermist do it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Arrowslinger, you did good to ask for help, especially since this is a special bear. I have done quite a few bears but each time I get to the cut down the leg to the paws I still scratch my head trying to remember exactly how it is done (it just looks weird).

It was nice to meet you arrowslinger. I'm glad Tam made it home, cuz she really knows that fine skinning stuff alot better than I do.

Default Do tell

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    Arrowslinger, you did good to ask for help, especially since this is a special bear. I have done quite a few bears but each time I get to the cut down the leg to the paws I still scratch my head trying to remember exactly how it is done (it just looks weird).
    Would you mind on elaborating on how it's done for those of use with little/no experience?

That's what I love about this site, all jokes aside, folks here are always to lend a hand of offer good sound advice.

Paul

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    Would you mind on elaborating on how it's done for those of use with little/no experience?

That's what I love about this site, all jokes aside, folks here are always to lend a hand of offer good sound advice.

Paul

better yet,,,, if i get guys to bring you bears to practice on... will you keep supplying the BEER??????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fuse

Ok you have me scrating my head again, trying to figure it out.

Here we go.

When the bear is on its back the natural tendency would be to cut along a straight line from the center of the crotch then down the center of the leg till you hit the foot. However, if you do this you will have a cut that end at the side of the bears foot which is not what you want. What you want is to cut it so that the cut ends at the center of the bears paw (both front and back legs).

Are you scratching your head yet.

Think of your leg, if you go from your crotch to the side of the knee (halfway between the knee cap and the other side (back) of the knee) then continue down the center of your calf to your foot, you will come out at your ankle, which will result in the bear rug feet being in a weird angle and not flat when the rug is laid on the ground.

What you need to do is make the cut so that you end up at the center of the heal of you foot. By doing this the bears pows will end up straight outwards with the bear nails and foot being flat on the ground.

Bottom line is, cut from the crotch to middle of the bear paw.

Still scratching your head.

If in doubt, only cut from the crotch to HALF WAY towards the CENTER of the paw on each leg, then skin the lower half of the leg as if pulling off the sleeve of a sweater. By doing it this way (you do not screw up the bottom half) your taxidermist will have a big smile on their face and might even give you a big hug for not screwing things up and making life miserable for them having to fix the error.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Smile

I wish I could help you. I do it for a Cold Sprite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast