Thread: Re-powering Wooldridge Ak

Default Re-powering Wooldridge Ak

So, after the recent moose hunt, the limitations of the 17.5' Ak with a 115 on it became apparent.
    I really like the boat, the design just gets her done, and the narrower width sure is handy. It has the room i need, no question there.
    Theoretically, putting a 130-140 Hp on her should get the heavier load on step quicker and easier than the 115? Or is this just wishfull thinking and it would be better to get a wider and longer rig?
    Any thoughts on E-TEC's vs Suzuki? A 140 Suzuki is going to be in the same ballpark weight wise as my current Evinrude 115.
    Thanks

Default you got the right Idea

I have heard good things about that suzuki esp that 140. That might be the way to go. I have the Merc optimax 150 on my boat, and am completely happy with it. I know of a few other people that really like thier optimaxs as well. Take a good look at that motor aswell. but that suzuki is a sweet runner also. Too many choices!! Let us know what you go with and the performance!

Default Evinrude

I have a 20' Xtra Plus and I repowered a few years ago. I had the original Evinrude 200ho Carb. After looking at everything I stayed with Evinrude and repowered with a 250hp. The 200, 225 and 250 were all the same weight, same power head etc. Computer and injection a little different. I have also found that the 4-blade stainless impeller was the was to go.

My fuel economy was also greatly improved over the 200hp carb model.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Judging by how my boat performed recently I can offer a decent opinion. If you decide to repower I would choose a motor that would give you about 1 hp at the pump/prop for each 25-27 pounds of loaded boat weight. This is about what my boat has and I was very pleased with the performance and ability to get it on step easily. You may be totally satisfied with 1 hp per 30 pounds as I felt I had a little extra power to spare.

If Suzuki still has the 7 year warranty, I would opt for the DF140. I have the DF115 and it has not had a problem that wasn't dealer caused. 250 hours so far.

Yukoner,
    As you know I have the DF140 on my boat and really like the motor, I dont think it will burn much more than 6gph w/ full load at wot.
    At just under 30 miles an hour, a bigger motor would allow you to carry some additional weight, how much more I couldnt guess, maybe some one will chime in. The wider hull is what really makes the diffrence, your existing motor on a wider hull would haul alot more weight. sent you a pm

Default I have

The evinrude 115 on my wolly alaskan II 17.5. I am happy with the power. I have ran some heavy loads and it performes quite well. I thought about a 150 when I bought it and decided to save the $. I run a stainless 4 blade and plan to try intake fins on a rockproof jet foot soon.
    I have had this boat less than a month and have about 120 hours on it. I am also going to install a lift for runing the prop lower this winter. That should help with fuel on trips were water permits.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Any photos of your rig yet?

Suzuki's are the cats meow. My dad runs a 250hp on his 24ft semi-v. We cruise across PWS at about 32 knots, loaded. Sips the gas.

Is it lacking on step with a full load? I've doent he yukon in a 20ft Aurora with a 115 and had no problems getting on step. 3 guys, gear and 2 moose. Granted, we did change props on the way back given the load but alot of people do that.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think that you'd find a big difference if you stepped up in engine displacement, moreso than horsepower. The change between your 115 and a 2-stroke v-6 135 would be a quantum leap in torque.

If you are looking for a measurable difference in performance without saddling up a bunch of extra weight, I'm thinking that a 2-stroke v-6 of some sort is the answer, be it etec or optimax. if you want economy, get the opti.

I don't know that the suzuki 140 would get you much more than you have now - I've heard anecdotally that the rating is a bit optimistic...

Thanks for all the good info gents.
    I am leaning towards a new hull and staying with the 115 FICHT. Wolfkiller seems to be able to pack a wack of gear in his "new style" Ak with a 115. I really don't want to get a larger boat, as the 17.5' Ak size is perfect for me, just need to haul a "tad more gear"

Default Honda ??

Yukoner, have you considered a Honda outboard ? I have been really pleased with my Honday 130. The Wooldridge transom is well built and can handle even a heavier outboard. It is really quiet and efficient. However, in comparing to a friends Allweld with the same motor, he can use a prop a few pitches higher which equated to better economy. However, his boat handles like a boat, not a Wooly on rails !!
    Attached Images Attached Images