Thread: Family ATV?

Question Family ATV?

My wife and I want to get into ATVing but we have 2 small children (3 and 1 and half). Is there a good family ATV? We're considering a side by side (or two), probably the Yamaha Rhino. Argos are a bit of rough ride, so they are not a consideration. 2 ups seem a bit risky with our children's ages. Any help would be appreciated?.

Second question: If we went with a Rhino, does Alaska have a restriction on ATV width? I know some places technically classify a ATV as 48" or less, side by sides exceed this.

I think the Rhinos are awesome. If they would have been out when I bought my 660 Griz in 2002 we would have bought one. The only ORV/ATV restrictions I have seen are weight restrictions. Usually 1500lbs max. The Rhino is 1000lbs dry so you should be good to go.
    Next year that Rhino will probably have the 700fi and the power steering! Should be the hot setup.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up Rhino

I can get my 11 mo old son's car seat in my Rhino. He get's a ride around the yard or neighborhood frequently. Still a little young to hit the trails. Awesome machines. I think your 18 mo old would do just fine in the Rhino, and definately the 3yo. It has a really good ride with the IRS and long wheel base. I was very surprised. I figure by next spring I will have my son and his mom in the Rhino and me on the Rubicon to do some wheelin.

Talking Thanks

Darn. I guess we get go shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    Darn. I guess we get go shopping!
    WhooHoo!! Let us know when you get one.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Talking Forget the Rhino!!

I'd lean toward the Cessna 206. Seats six, cruises around 170, and it will get you to those hunting spots NO argo, 4x4, or Rhino will get you too!

Only downfall.....just a little more expensive than an ATV.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 185 on Floats

I like the 206 idea. I did see an add somewhere.......hmmmm
    Can't remember where I saw it. Might have been here, but it was for a 1/4 share of a 185 w floats on Lk Hood. I think they were asking $ 35K.
    Thats affordable.
    Might have been on Craigslist. I know there was a pic with the add.
    Good luck anyway, what ever you decide to do.

Default One of each

Not the planes!
    Get a Rhino and a two up ATV.
    Cover all the situations from full family outing to recreational sport riding.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Talking We did it!

My wife and I test drove Rhinos the other day with the kids. Kids' car seats fit like a glove in the bucket seats. My wife and daughter had grins ear to ear when the came back from their test drive and my little boy giggled the whole time he was in it. That's all it took. We ordered two. One 4x4 660 in Camo for the boys, and 4x4 660 Sport (Blue and silver) for the girls. They should be ready in about a week and half. Thanks to all who replied on the forum. I'll post once we break'em in.

Thumbs up Congrats

...now you can get into the aftermarket world. I am having a one piece roof/windshield shaped for mine right now through Image plastics in Anchorage. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    http://www.hunterworks.com/ These guys have some good aftermarket goodies. Only problem is shipping, but Carlile will ship to Anchorage for reasonable price.
    Have fun!

Thumbs up

Awesome! You guys will have a blast with those rigs. We have a griz but I am thinking about a rhino next year for the wifey and I.

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    My wife and I test drove Rhinos the other day with the kids. Kids' car seats fit like a glove in the bucket seats. My wife and daughter had grins ear to ear when the came back from their test drive and my little boy giggled the whole time he was in it. That's all it took. We ordered two. One 4x4 660 in Camo for the boys, and 4x4 660 Sport (Blue and silver) for the girls. They should be ready in about a week and half. Thanks to all who replied on the forum. I'll post once we break'em in.

Rhino beats anything out there for overall ride, performance, work and play.