Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Newbie to Bows

  1. #1

    Default Newbie to Bows

    I'm wanting to get a bow to shoot in my backyard, and eventually hunt with. Since I can't yet purchase a firearm, I'm looking into bows.

    I don't know much about bows (practically nothing) much less good brands.

    I'm looking for a longbow or recurve with a 60 pound draw for a left handed person. I stopped by Backcountry Archery yesterday but they didn't have any LH bows in stock. Neither did Sportsman's Warehouse.

    I'd go to Archer's Den in Eagle River, but it's a bit of a long walk (17 miles, and takes me through the AFB).

    Thanks,
    Jason

  2. #2
    Member Rick P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    Get a used bow off e-bay or watch craigslist, you can often get much more bow for the money by buying used. Bear, Browning, Pearson, Herter, Wing, Howatt, Colt and a bunch of others all made really great bows for years.

    I also think bows develop a character, even a spirit of there own as they get older. My Pearson Colt almost seems to shoot it's self sometimes. I'll be taking it out to chase ducks next week.

    PS I assume your a younger person since you cant own a firearm, why such a high draw weight? 50# is all you would need for any Alaskan game.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

  3. #3

    Default

    Rick, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be heading over to Craig's list as soon as I make this post.

    I can legally possess a firearm (I'm 23) but I am not a resident of this state... yet.

    I was thinking #60 for hunting but if #50 is all I need, I might go for that.

    Jason

  4. #4

    Default

    Unless something has changed in the last few years, you don't need to be a resident to buy a rifle or shotgun.

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis View Post
    Unless something has changed in the last few years, you don't need to be a resident to buy a rifle or shotgun.
    depends on the state you came from......some have a mandatory waiting period.. AK abides by.

    and don't listen to rick...... no used bows for a first timer....you need to spend your ENTIRE savings on it so that you FULLY respect the investment you made...then you will be self required to use it or too afraid to scratch it...... now a GOOD first time would build his own....air fair to to china and bambo......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Member AkCPO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    Rick, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be heading over to Craig's list as soon as I make this post.

    I can legally possess a firearm (I'm 23) but I am not a resident of this state... yet.

    I was thinking #60 for hunting but if #50 is all I need, I might go for that.

    Jason
    Go to DMV and get a drivers license or a state ID card and register to vote. Then for all intents and purposes you're a resident. You just can't get a resident hunting/fishing license until you've been here for 12 months.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkCPO View Post
    Go to DMV and get a drivers license or a state ID card and register to vote. Then for all intents and purposes you're a resident. You just can't get a resident hunting/fishing license until you've been here for 12 months.
    Really, is that all? I was told I need to be a resident for 90 days and provide proof (i.e. utility bills, vehicle registration, etc).

    I've been looking for a used firearm from a private seller because I know there's no paperwork involved but it's hard to come across a left handed Remington/Winchester .30-06...

  8. #8
    Member AkCPO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    84

    Default I double checked

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    Really, is that all? I was told I need to be a resident for 90 days and provide proof (i.e. utility bills, vehicle registration, etc).

    I've been looking for a used firearm from a private seller because I know there's no paperwork involved but it's hard to come across a left handed Remington/Winchester .30-06...
    1. Be of legal age to buy a rifle or shotgun.
    2. Be able to prove who you say you are and are old enough to buy the gun. (Driver's license or state ID card)
    3. Be able to answer all the questions truthfully and correctly on the federal firearms form that you have to fill out when you buy the gun.
    4. Have the money.

    The 90 day residency period applys to ahndgun purchases along with the above.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •