Thread: How to build an inexpensive practice range?

Default How to build an inexpensive practice range?

I'm sure there's probably another thread on the subject somewhere--possibly even a few--but I'll ask again anyway.

I am able to practice at a nice, warm and comfy, indoor range, which, to my knowledge, is the only one around where I live. But that range only goes to 20 yards (30 if I'm shooting from the front door). And, of course, it costs money to do that.

I'd rather shoot on my property for free, where I can keep backing up to 30 yards, then 40, then 50. I realize that setting up a wall will cost money, but I would be spending money at the range anyways, or blowing it on lost arrows if I didn't have a wall.

There's a few acres of woods behind my property, and there's nobody there. However, I just don't want to take the chance of somebody coming along and getting an accidental crucification. Even though there's nobody there, there could be. Going back far enough, there's homes and people, and who knows whether someone might be in the woods for whatever reason. My grouping is close and tight at 20 yards, but backing up there's a greater margin for error until I've gotten a sufficient amount of practice.

I figure I could put together a wall with 2x4's, plywood, and buffer it with bails of hay inside of burlap sacks or something like that. Has anyone else set up something similar? What did you use? What's the most inexpensive route? What would you suggest?

Default backstop

Hang a piece of used carpet big enough so that you've got plenty on the sides and top for misses about 2 - 3 feet behind your target and make sure it's got 2 - 3 feet of free space behind the carpet. Let the bottom end hang loose. That will absorb almost all of the arrows energy and most of them won't stick into it very much if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCPO View Post
    Hang a piece of used carpet big enough so that you've got plenty on the sides and top for misses about 2 - 3 feet behind your target and make sure it's got 2 - 3 feet of free space behind the carpet. Let the bottom end hang loose. That will absorb almost all of the arrows energy and most of them won't stick into it very much if at all.
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure I can get some junk carpet for free.

Used to use cotton bat mattress for back stop, but have not seen a cotton filled mattres for a long time.
    NRA Lifetime Member