Thread: haul road with horses

Default haul road with horses

i am thinking not this year but next hauling up 5 horses and walking out the 5miles what do you guys think? is there any laws saying i cant do it? i have not been up there in the summer only when it is cold and frozen up there. so good idea or not?

People do take horses up the Haul Road. When I was last at work in August, I did see two different groups of folks who took horses up North.

I didn't talk to the folks who had horses and I didn't see how they were being used.

other than long rough trailer ride for them i think it would be great selection of area to go out would be important , swampy areas and tussucks would be biggest problem. i would think some of the ridges in foothills between slope mountain and brooks range would be best.
    there were 7 big horsde trailers at air strip south of Atigan pass this year, a guide operates out of there. mostly for sheep i think.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

My friend takes his horses up but this year we where unable to do so due to a death in his family just before we where to head up in late,late Aug.Anyhow they do fine up there,the trailering was hard but he stopped often to stretch there legs.

The horses did great and for a 1st time hunting trip they did exceptionally well with them taking 5 Caribou from two horses,they just swapped out with the horses.Good luck to you....

oh! and btw! I think the one operation Nimrod spoke of is a sheep hunting outfitter.I tried talking to him twice in the past 6 years and both time what an ARSE he is.both time when I bumped into him and tried to ask about his GUide service his 1st question was "are you a local" and of course I said 'yes'sir',and do you know and I mean he was hateful like I mean his expression was like who the F**K are? turned his back to me and the one time he said reall hateful and loudly was I only take out out of staters.

Jeez all I did was enquire about hunting with him and he ran me off,anyhow If he's from the North Pole area I surely cant say anything nice about that outfit sorry,just heads up.

And If you need help I still have my own saddle

well that is all i needed to hear i will be heading up there next year with 5-7 horses. trailering them is no problem got a good trailer. would be cool to go after sheep too. took the horses in some rought country this year so i think that haul road would be easy. if i pass my bow test on the 8th might head up this year with my bow.

cool beans rmk.....I know my bud was in the Mtns somewhat just off the Tundra,but I dont remember if he saw any Sheep or not.With the ground frozen now,Id suspect the horses would fare better with there footing,so you should do fine.Good Luck with ya.