Thread: Goat Meat?

Default Goat Meat?

I'm looking to do an October goat hunt in Southeast. My family and I eat a lot of wild game (mostly deer and bear), and I'm hoping to mix it up with something else this year. When I take a look at my freezer at the end of the season, I usually end up with about 1/3 steaks, 1/3 ground, and 1/3 either roasts, sausage or stew meat.

For those of you who hunt goats, what do you think of the meat and how do you allocate it when butchering (i.e. how much do you make into steaks, burger, roasts etc). Are steaks similar to deer, moose, etc? If they are tough, I might keep more for roasts or grind them.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks-

had a big ol' billy done up at mat valley meats and had it all done into jalepano chedder hot dogs, its be the biggest hit of all the meals i feed my clients, i've got guys wanting to book goat hunts, just to have the dogs made and i've gotta say on a grill, they are the best i've eaten!! its the only way i'll do goat from now on!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

my goat i got in 2007 i had about 80% made into hamburger and the rest of the meat i kept for stew.the flavor of the meat was super and i preferred it over white tail deer,if i have a chance to go again i think im going to have the meat for stew and steaks.when i made stew in the crock pot my girls would eat most of it before i got a chance to eat any,so i learned to eat my share first.i have talked to people that said goat meat was tough and to have it grounded into hamburger,mine was a 10yr old billy and cooking it in the crock pot made the meat fall apart.the hot dogs that brwnbr said about sound really good,but there is many was to make a good meal out of the meat just try something different everytime you want to cook something up,as for grounding up the roast i wouldn`t i would try it up the roast put some spices,potatos carrots peppers and onions and a can of beef broth in to a crock pot and cook on low all day,if you are not sure just use half a roast you will be surprised how good it is.

I have had a couple of old billies, one was 11. Taste is great but very tough. I guess living in the rocks will do that. Grind it into something useful. Jake's hot dogs are great or something similar. Steaks and roasts are for someone besides me- LOL. Good luck. J.

Default Goat Meat

Im not one to usually take game to a processor. We cut it all up into roasts, and then the smaller scraps into stew meat. In my opinion it is some of the best meat going, but it can be tough. We just submerge it in the crock pot and let it cook, this method always seems to make it moisten up and not be so chewy.

Default Burger, burger, burger..

I grew up on goat burgers, burritos, ect. Its by far my favorite on the grill. No fat just some oats and eggs with light seasonings. Moose and deer for steaks and stew. Bear for sausage and dogs. Goat is for Burgers.

I have tried mine three different ways so far, tenderloin on the grill, chunks in stew, and burger in chili.
    The tenderloin taste was great, kind of like beef with a hint of lamb, but it should be called un-tender loin. This was a young goat to boot.
    The stew, now that is what is worth writing home about. I wish I would have left more meat for stew. This is by far the best stew meat I have had.
    As for the chili, the burger kind of tasted like I used ground turkey and I got that from other people who ate it.

I am looking forward to slow cooking the roast, that should be a treat if it gets tender. I am also planning on making some jerky for the heck of it but I am not sure what to do with all the ground meat I made.
    Suggestions welcome.

Default Italian sausage...

We had our 6 1/2 yr old billie turned into Italian sausage except for the steaks. It is excellent! The steaks are also very good and tender.
    BK

Smile

I wondered this myself. My goat was 5 years old and tender and tasty as any game around. While my friend shot a large billy much older and gave all the meat away due to "gamey" taste. I was glad for my smaller billy in this case. Any validity to the older goats tasting nasty thing or was he just unlucky?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default goat

I have eaten several goats quite a few years ago. Two young billies and a nanny were tender and had great flavor. One old billy in Oct had a really strong taste and was tough. Another billy shot by my partner and finished off after traveling some distance was almost unedible due to flavor. I was never sure if the two old billies tasted strong because of the time of year, on the worst one the distance he traveled after being hit, or if they are just naturally tougher or stronger tasting in general.

We eat lots of goat. The flavors great but its awfully tough. the best cuts of meat are slow cooked all day in a crock pot with red wine, garlic, and veggies. All else goes into italian sausage for pasta, pizza, etc.

Default Stew meat vs ground

No experience with goats, but I'll say this - if you get some ground and chunk the rest for stew meat, you can always take your stew meat and have it ground after the fact. It's a little harder to turn burger back into chunks for stew

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Do you make your own sausage? If so, care to share the recipe?

Default yum yum

Quote Originally Posted by kloshe View Post
    the best cuts of meat are slow cooked all day in a crock pot with red wine, garlic, and veggies.
    amen to that!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Red face

I could never get past the smell of the ones we raised on the farm.. to bother trying to cook one.... a friend of mine shot one in the Valdez narrows years ago and his meat was so rank the dogs wouldn't touch it... so i guess there is a time frame for having good meat?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up You are what you eat

Mountain goats can be a real trade-off between trophy quality and meat quality.

In the early season the hair is pretty short - doesn't make as attractive a mount, for those who want taxidermy. But the goat is eating forbs and sedges and tender plants. That makes for flavorful meat, without weird 'off' tastes.

But in late fall and winter, when they have long, white hair, the goats have shifted their diet. Unlike moose or caribou, which tend to change areas if their favorite food becomes scarce, goats stick with the habitat and eat what's there. If they're down to chewing hemlock needles from the old growth just below the cliffs... Well, it's not the sweetest meat you ever ate.

The author Duncan Gilchrist wrote that he could never figure out why roughly half of the big, old billies he shot were rubber-band tough, and the rest were fine eating. I don't have a reason, either.

But I can tell you that good goat meat is great eating. Loins, backstraps, and hams make great steaks. (Sprinkle both sides with salt and let 'em sit 40 minutes before cooking.) Roast the shoulders, and stew the legs. Burger is good, too. But I don't have a vacuum packer so it doesn't keep like I'd want.

Say this for the tougher cuts - I know some guys who'll cook stew meat 'till it's flavorless strands of mostly mush. That's harder to do with mountain goat.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've killed two billies so I don't have a ton of experience but I can say that the first was a 6 year old billy on kodiak on the 20th of August- he was incredibly tough but had good flavor. My most recent goat was killed on the 27th of september and was 7 years old and also ridiculously tough...both have had great flavor but have been super tough. I'm crock-potting a roast tomorrow so we'll see...?

I'm not exactly sure of when they rut but that will affect the flavor. You also have to be careful about the hair. The hair will taint the meat if it comes in contact.