Thread: CVT Drive belts

Default CVT Drive belts

Just asking on peoples preferences on brand of drive belt, i have a kodiak with a clutch kit that goes through belts pretty good and looking for a high quality belt. The two previous yamaha brand belts outlasted the dayco that i just blew up today. Anyone use the new goodyear or a carlisle belt?

Quote Originally Posted by mr soft View Post
    Just asking on peoples preferences on brand of drive belt, i have a kodiak with a clutch kit that goes through belts pretty good and looking for a high quality belt. The two previous yamaha brand belts outlasted the dayco that i just blew up today. Anyone use the new goodyear or a carlisle belt?
    If you're going through belts that fast on a wheeler, maybe your clutches aren't aligned.....Just a thought...

Usually get about 500 miles per belt, this last time was closer to 300. You know how to check the alignment other than by eye?

I have heard that the OEM belts last longer than the aftermarkets, I am guessing your (no offense) driving habits or your clutch kit/tire combo needs evaluated.

I have 26" mudlights and i am pretty rough with it, i am prolly gonna go back to 25" all terrains and return the clutch to stock now that i moved to idaho. No real need for anything i have on it now down here. I am past the elevation limit by far on my clutch kit here. No offence taken.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soft View Post
    Usually get about 500 miles per belt, this last time was closer to 300. You know how to check the alignment other than by eye?
    Threre is definitely something wrong with your clutch. I ride with 10 - 15 different folks on a regular basis. I ride with all brand of ATV and we commonly ride 1000 miles per year. None of us have ever broken a belt. I would look at your clutch cover (inside) to see if your belt is rubbing against it. That may be one reason you are breaking belts. I would get it checked out. There is no reason any brand atv should be going through that many belts.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default I smoked the belt on my 700 Prairie

at 2300 miles and felt it was way way to early!
    And I'm not easy on it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

For that Yammy Duramatic tranny to be going through belts I would say something is definitely amiss. I have 27's and a clutch kit on my 02 660 griz and have put that thing through the paces and at 1200 miles I have no prob. Same tranny as your Kodiak. My buddy has his 02 660 bored to a 686, cammed, piped, etc. Extensive clutch work, Gorilla axles and drivelines and he has run 28 and 29 inch outlaws with no probs. Heck, he twisted off the rear driveline once running the 29's. That's why he now has the Gorilla driveline. Anyway, he has never had a belt problem. He just replaced the belt only because it finally showed some wear and was slightly out of spec. Just a general maintenance thing. Check your clutch.

Also, take your question here on over to atvfrontier.com in the yammy forum. My buddy who has the highly modded griz is the mod over there, silvertipgriz
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again