Thread: First Moose (Almost)

Default First Moose (Almost)

Well I've lived in Fairbanks for 2 years now and still haven't hunted moose, so this year i decided to try. I have a pretty good schedule around classes at the university. It gives me Fridays and Mondays off. So for the past week or so I have been hitting up a stand I put up in Creamers. Well i get bored easily. So after about two hours on Friday morning i decided to walk around. I hadent seen a moose since I started going out there but what the hey I thought I might get lucky. After about 20min of walk I came into a small clearing. Standing right ahead of me across the clear at about 15 yard was a nice bull. I took my bow off my pack and nocked an arrow. He was standing down in an old pond area that i could not see. Figuring he was further away because I what i thought was his whole body was only half. I drew back and put my thirty yard pin behind his shoulder. Big mistake. Arrow hit high in his hump. He took off crashing through the woods. Spend 6 hours on firday and all day today and never found a drop of blood. Near as I can guess the hump doesnt have many bloose vessles and mostly at. So it has been a rough couple of days but I will be back out monday for a last chance at my moose. I think the moose should be fine. We never found the arrow but in the brush it should get pulled out eventually and if hes not bleeding he should heal up. Dont know if I would have had time to range him but I think I might start bringing one.
    Thanks
    Carl

Default fresh snow...

with this fresh snow on the ground might be a good morning to try and pick up its tracks/blood trail for that final follow up shot..... I'd be willing to help ya out with the tracking if you like!
    Bad shots happen to the best of us but I hate to see a wounded animal out there....
    Lemme know...

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by AKCarl View Post
    Well I've lived in Fairbanks for 2 years now and still haven't hunted moose, so this year i decided to try. I have a pretty good schedule around classes at the university. It gives me Fridays and Mondays off. So for the past week or so I have been hitting up a stand I put up in Creamers. Well i get bored easily. So after about two hours on Friday morning i decided to walk around. I hadent seen a moose since I started going out there but what the hey I thought I might get lucky. After about 20min of walk I came into a small clearing. Standing right ahead of me across the clear at about 15 yard was a nice bull. I took my bow off my pack and nocked an arrow. He was standing down in an old pond area that i could not see. Figuring he was further away because I what i thought was his whole body was only half. I drew back and put my thirty yard pin behind his shoulder. Big mistake. Arrow hit high in his hump. He took off crashing through the woods. Spend 6 hours on firday and all day today and never found a drop of blood. Near as I can guess the hump doesnt have many bloose vessles and mostly at. So it has been a rough couple of days but I will be back out monday for a last chance at my moose. I think the moose should be fine. We never found the arrow but in the brush it should get pulled out eventually and if hes not bleeding he should heal up. Dont know if I would have had time to range him but I think I might start bringing one.
    Thanks
    Carl
    Hope you not out looking for another moose. I would say that one would go on your tag for this year......

There is muscle in the hump, but obviously, no major organs, vessels, etc. Very doubtful, IMO, that an arrow in the hump would eventually kill a moose. Heavy bone in that area too. Try and find him, but doubtful he's seriously wounded.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Spent all day Saturday out looking and just got back from looking today. Gonna grab some food and head back out. My girlfriend would still like to shoot one so we will spend the last couple days of season trying to get her one.
    Thanks
    Carl