Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: caribou massacre

Default caribou massacre

What ever happend to the nativies who killed and wasted all the caribou earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdan View Post
    What ever happend to the nativies who killed and wasted all the caribou earlier this year?
    NOTHING.

I know the local's wanted the troopers to back off. I am sure the local political types Natives called the governors office early on when the troopers showed up. I am guessing the only thing the Tribal big wigs could have said to the Governor would have been to tell her....to tell the troopers to back off.....Palin probably told the Tribal big wigs she would have the troopers do just that....back off.

I know the Commissioner of the department of Public safety got fired by Palin. Could it have been he got fired because he told the governor to go piss up a rope when she told him to back off and let the village handle it? Just looking at the timing on the massacre and when he got fired.

So when he got fired.......the case got dropped; just like the Governor wanted?

That's my guess because there is no other reasonable explanation for no charges to have been filed or any other believable reason been given as to why she fired the commissioner

Default I doubt it

I really doubt Palin had jack squat to do with the caribou slaughter.

I do think though that it is getting swept under the carpet for no reason at all.

Very irritating

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    NOTHING.

I know the local's wanted the troopers to back off.

I know the Commissioner of the department of Public safety got fired by Palin.

That's my guess because there is no other reasonable explanation for no charges to have been filed or any other believable reason been given as to why she fired the commissioner
    One other possibility. The commissioner with blood ties to the native community, might have been the one responsible for the cover up and therefore quite willing to let the villagers handle it, in "thieir" ancestral ways. Others in state govt might not have bought it and thus he found himself in the position he is in now. When cultures collide, our laws don't apply, sad but true.

Here is an undate out of the paper from today: http://www.adn.com/rural/story/539502.html

The phrase "caribou die off" just doesn't seem to fit this situation!!
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Here is an undate out of the paper from today: http://www.adn.com/rural/story/539502.html

The phrase "caribou die off" just doesn't seem to fit this situation!!
    And what is worse yet, is some of the comments posted regarding the article. M I one of the posters on this site had some absolutely insane and disgusting thoughts about it. It reveals just how far removed from reality some really are. The elders of the community are now showing their true mentality. Apparently the Feds have been absolutely useless in the investigation as well. Probably even obstructing the investigation. I hope everyones children who one day want to become a hunter are reading this and keeping up with it, because it will provide a basis for them to establish their own ethical standards and see what they can get by with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I really doubt Palin had jack squat to do with the caribou slaughter.

I do think though that it is getting swept under the carpet for no reason at all.

Very irritating
    I totally agree.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

"Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Point Hope

It's really just sickening to me the way this is going and how Us (White Man) Are still the bad guy's about the whole thing!!
    When I was in the NOatak Hunting bou just 9days ago we had the fish cops land right on us and made clear what we alredy knew about Want & waste...I could just imagine what would have happen if we would have left 1-2 ribs on the carcass???? Let alone 120 Bou not counting the calfs that was still trying to nurse on there dead Mother...Whats really going on here??

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    One other possibility. The commissioner with blood ties to the native community, might have been the one responsible for the cover up and therefore quite willing to let the villagers handle it, in "thieir" ancestral ways. Others in state govt might not have bought it and thus he found himself in the position he is in now. When cultures collide, our laws don't apply, sad but true.

Agreed; there is another possibility.

That view pt. might make more sense.

According to the Governor Monegan wasn't doing enough to fight the smuggling of drugs and alcohol to the bush communities. He wasn't doing enough to fight sex crimes and abuse particularly against Native women. So it only stands to reason he would not be doing enough to stop the abuse of public wildlife resources.

Afterall; the Governor wanted to take the Department in another direction. And in response to the Native Elders complaining the troopers botched the investitgation and the Elders request to back off and let them handle it.....our Attorney General Talis Colberg; the Governors "yes" man sent a letter back to the Elders saying that the Administration was in the holding pattern on that one. AND then she fired Monegan.

It would be great to know the truth.

Default Its a double standard.

Once the Troopers' investigation clearly pointed to the native tribal members, they should put the onus on the "tribal elders". Elders, here is our report, our photos, our interviews - its your baby now deal with it.
    Oh by the way, don't forget to send us your findings.

We all know there is a double standard that the "tribes" know they can use to their advantage. Are the Troopers race baiting? No! They are trying to do their job but are getting minimal cooperation from the suspects and their culture.

The Troopers should close the case once they hit the wall, announce their summary statement and let the case be judged by the court of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    They are trying to do their job but are getting minimal cooperation from the suspects and their culture.
    So what. Suspects usually don't cooperate in criminal cases and their criminal cultural buddies don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    The Troopers should close the case once they hit the wall, announce their summary statement and let the case be judged by the court of public opinion.
    BS. What the Troopers should have done was moved about 10 or more law enforcement officers right into town. Interviewed under oath every single person in the town. Those who refused to testify should have been charged with obstruction of justice and taken to jail in Fairbanks.

The troopers were stopped; somehow pressured to back off.

This situation can not be blamed or excused as a failure of the suspects and their buddies to cooperate. The people of this State EXPECT our elected and appointed officials to enforce the law across the board. The accept anything less is.......well we get what we deserve?

I am sure they will walk away fromit with no charges. Nobody inside the village is going to convict another resident. If it was you or me we would have already lost our ATV,rifle and gotten a huge fine and possible jail time.
    akraven

What chaps my butt is how the natives feel the caribou are theirs, and thus this should be their incident to deal with. NO. Those caribou are the State of Alaska's. NOT theirs. But at the same time, they will not get the same punishment, regardless of what the state troopers do. When the state announced the jurors had to come from the village of Point Hope, they basically announced the verdict. Once again, natives off free, everyone else gets the shaft.

It would be interesting to learn how many trials have been held in Pt Hope, since it was deemed a judicial seat, and how many convictions the juries there rendered to their kin and neighbors. I think it is time for the State Judiciary Branch, rethink putting courts in small communities. It is a mockery of justice and they know it.

If they ever do determine who actually did it, watch the out come. I think the 14th amendment still holds in AK. Any time another person is convicted of a similar crime, he/she should face the same consequences, equal protection under the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It would be interesting to learn how many trials have been held in Pt Hope, since it was deemed a judicial seat, and how many convictions the juries there rendered to their kin and neighbors. I think it is time for the State Judiciary Branch, rethink putting courts in small communities. It is a mockery of justice and they know it.
    Yah I agree. But this State is giving away sovereign authority to Natives everyday in all sorts of ways. This caribou slaughter is just bringing one aspect of it to light here. The State may as well just let them declare sovereignty and hand over the State's authority to them lock stock and barrel. The natives wont quit till they get that as long as this BS is working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    If they ever do determine who actually did it, watch the out come. I think the 14th amendment still holds in AK. Any time another person is convicted of a similar crime, he/she should face the same consequences, equal protection under the law.
    Perhaps we could organize an AODD Fun Shoot! We could charter an entire Herc and get everyone up there pretty cheaply. Interesting concept our fore-fathers put in place, but I have never seen it applied in Alaska.

natives in the united states lost a war, right? then why do they possess rights beyond others? My parents, myself and my children are just as native(BRED AND BORN IN THE USA)! With out native rights we would have equality. I know history but live in the present ie reverse discrimination for anybody that whines (with a lawyer present of course). If it had been drunk white kids it would have been national news with Native leaders outraged. Not a hush hush job!

Quote Originally Posted by nickelstick View Post
    natives in the united states lost a war, right? then why do they possess rights beyond others? My parents, myself and my children are just as native(BRED AND BORN IN THE USA)! With out native rights we would have equality. I know history but live in the present ie reverse discrimination for anybody that whines (with a lawyer present of course). If it had been drunk white kids it would have been national news with Native leaders outraged. Not a hush hush job!
    You may not be native, but your viewpoint might be a little naive. I'm guessing you're a white male, which means you had power and reign in this country for hundreds of years, and in many areas still have an appreciable advantage. And now you're upset that minorities have been trying to get equal footing for what, the past 3-4 decades? Cmon, bring something more to the table than that.

I don't like the cover up any more than you do, but a white male preaching equality given the history in this country seems a little ironic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast