Thread: Tundra?

Default Tundra?

whats everyones take on the Tundra, i'm looking for a sled that'll pull a trailer, track well in deeper snow, but not so heavy and overloaded with engine that i bog down everywhere. also price is pretty key. is there long track and short track tundra or only one kind? little insight would help me out alot, grew up on an ELAN, tundra would feel like a race car to me!

Default tundra tracks...

are 136" I believe. Nice and light for sure. Several have told me it does well in powder, but I haven't rode on myself.

Default tundra

I grew up on an Elan also, thought it was a race car then!! My buddy in high school weighted about 250lbs, and the tundra did awesome compared to my elan. I bought one for my girls last year, only spent $1300. The thing runs like a top, and goes everywhere. It will haul light-meduim loads great, heavy loads may need a fairly packed trail. But i guess that depends on how much you weight to give it traction. Sometimes the skiis are a bit narrow, and those plastic ski skiins really help out, make it float better, and then the snow doesn't "stick" to the metal bottoms. I would think you would be happy with it, it's no speed demon, 40-45mph depending on weight/conditions. b ut good on gas too!!! lets just say my daughter keeps up with me on my summit 151 when we are boondocking!!

I got one for my kids a few years ago. It works great and hauls a sled just fine. It will keep up with bigger machines on the trail with no problems and use half the fuel. Its not fast but then you cant drive fast on the trail towing a sled. It is a bit narrow in deep snow and the skins will help that a bit. In deeper snow you cant beat my skandic with a 24inch swt but then it only gets about 10mpg.
    It does depend on what you use it for.

Regards,

Jim

Yamaha is making the Bravo longtrack again. They should be available around Anch. They are a good inexpensive deep snow machine.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Tundra for sure

Ive trapped off tundras for years. In my opinion there the best little sled going. There simple, light and easy to fix in the field. They pull sleds great. I loike the front suspension too. The single exposed shock per side is much better for getting through brush than its competition.

great, thanks everyone thats the info i was looking for. after the ELAN a tundra will feel like drivin' nascar! thanks again, enjoy the snow when it gets here.

Default Tundra stories

about 5 years ago I had a fellow living in my campground that was from Wyoming. Old Don was a real outdoorsman and had trapped and hunted all over the west. His recent divorce made Alaska an easy choice to start a new life. Don landed in my campground some how and we hit it off right away. He decided to stay with us for the winter and needed a better home than his tent for winter... He went over to War Bonnet construction in Kenai spur road and ordered up an Igloo made from Spray urethane Insulaton and rhino hide on the outside. he got the 12 footer with 2 windows in it and a little midget front door that was about 4 feet tall. Totally Amazing told him that you could heat it with a candle. ( Oh yeah,, I call the guy that owns War Bonnet "Totally Amazing".. If you ever meet him he says about every sentence " Totally Amazing". ie,, The round shape of an igloo is " Totally Amazing". This urethane insulation is " Totally Amazing" .. Ok you get the drift..
    So anyway.. Totally amazing is right,, you can heat this thing with a Candle. in fact a Lightbulb hung from the ceiling will drive you out of the place.. You gotta have the windows open if you use the hot plate or even run a little TV. So anyway,, Don gets settled into his Igloo for the winter stay in my RV park. He decides he is going to start trapping and wants a trapper mobile.. I suggest a Sno-go called the Tundra as the favorite for many of the Alaskan Village Trappers.
    Don gets one at the Dealer in Anchorage and brings it home on a one place trailer.
    The first skiff of snow in October and Don has drug this machine off the trailer and the cover removed. he sets the choke and gives the rope a pull. ( This is where it gets interesting)..
    It comes to life on the second pull and with extreme haste, takes off going full steam with Don hanging on to the handle bar with one hand and the pull rope handle still in the other, he is drug accross the little campground road and then T-bones a nice 8 inch Aspen... The Throttle was stuck in wide open from the linkage hanging up....
    The sudden stop sends Don into a chimpanzee roll for about 10 feet ,and then he lays flat on his back..he lays in the fresh snow as if rendered unconcious.
    The machine is bucking around still attempting to climb the Aspen and I hit the kill switch.
    When we reach Don his hands are wiggling so we know he is alive.
    The Ambulance ride to town and later that day released to our care.
    Stitches and arm brace and back pain...
    A few weeks later Don Emerges from the Igloo and I load his smashed up Tundra on the trailer. Head to Anchorage and to the Dealer.
    We are told .." To bad,, So sad.. we have no liability.."
    We leave the machine with them anyway and head home to make phone calls to Ski-doo.
    In March of the next year Ski-Doo says, " OK its our Fault, Lots of other Tundra's had the same problem that year"..
    Anyway. They fixed it up and Don has since rode the crap out of the little Sno-go... He still has it and won't part with it.
    I notice now that he does not hang on to anything when he pulls the cord now . He stands to the side and is ready to release the handle if needed...
    All I can say is .. Totally Amazing!
    Max

Those sticky throttles can get ya! My cousin had that happen to him once. Machine launched off a 6' cut bank, went across the river and straight into a big spruce tree. The machine didn't fare too well....

I've gotten into the habit of flipping the throttle and choke a few times in the morning before I start my machines to make sure nothing is froze up.

I know a few people who have Tundras and really like them. They're a solid machine. I could be wrong, but I think most of us are talking about the old Tundra's, not the new model. I think the new model is still up in the air for being as tough as the old models.

Another good machine to look at would be the Yamaha Bravo. You can get those new.

Default One on craigslist...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/214872462.html

Tundra II - $1,700..... might be a deal
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default totally amazing!

That totally amazing story is great!!! There is alot to be said about those little tundras, and bravos. I agree the jury is still out on the new ones, but they sold the heck out of them last year, and this years lineup is very impressive!!