Thread: 375 Improved vs 375 weatherby

Default 375 Improved vs 375 weatherby

What one is better??? What are the main differences, I talked to one guy who said the improved version had slightly higher case capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    What one is better??? What are the main differences, I talked to one guy who said the improved version had slightly higher case capacity.

Here are some water displacement figures for the various 375's.
    (Not capacity)

375 H&H std-----132 grains
    375 Ruger-------134 "
    375 Dakota------135 "
    375 Wby--------140 "
    375 JRS---------140 " (based on 8mm Rem or 416 Rem necked)
    375 Impr. 40^o--141 "
    378 WBY--------175 grains

As you can see the capacity of the improved and the 375 WBY are very close. If you are rechambering an H&H rifle either will work. Technically you can fire form standard ammo in either chamber. Dies and head stamped brass is available for the WBY at affordable prices. ANd factory ammo is available, not for the improved versions. Dies for the 40 degree improved will be about $75. I am kicking around the idea of rechambering a 375 H&H I have but haven't decided which one.

The 375 Weatherby will have the Weatherby double ogee shoulder and the prestigous Weatherby headstamp. The 40 degree improved version will have brass that last longer if only partial or necked sized. Not really much difference.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have never reloaded for a weatherby is there anything special about the double radiused shoulders of the weatherbys. ANy reason why it would be better or worse than a standard shoulder. The action is a remington 700 off a 8mm rem mag that will get a new barrel screwed on. I had toyed with the 416 rem but thought a 375 woudl be more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I have never reloaded for a weatherby is there anything special about the double radiused shoulders of the weatherbys. ANy reason why it would be better or worse than a standard shoulder.
    Nothing special - only drawbacks as the way I see it.

1. "Funky" headspacing. Most experience handloaders will headspace a belted magnum on the shoulder, not the belt. I don't see how a double-radiused (chicane) helps anything.

2. Cost of brass

I believe Roy did the double radius for two reasons:

1. Made it harder for folks to copy the reamers and thus chamber for it.

2. He claimed a "venturi" effect that somehow "magically" increased efficiency and velocity. What was really happening was an increase in powder capacity over what was available at the time. Others (e.g. Freddy Zeglin - Z-Hat) have made such preposterous claims that their case designs were magically more efficient that other very similar designs.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Nothing special - only drawbacks as the way I see it.

1. "Funky" headspacing. Most experience handloaders will headspace a belted magnum on the shoulder, not the belt. I don't see how a double-radiused (chicane) helps anything.

2. Cost of brass

I believe Roy did the double radius for two reasons:

1. Made it harder for folks to copy the reamers and thus chamber for it.

2. He claimed a "venturi" effect that somehow "magically" increased efficiency and velocity. What was really happening was an increase in powder capacity over what was available at the time. Others (e.g. Freddy Zeglin - Z-Hat) have made such preposterous claims that their case designs were magically more efficient that other very similar designs.
    I can't disagree with any of this, can't validate it either but would add a few points I've heard that make sense to an old rocket scientist.

The radiused shoulder is simply rounded corners and flow of gases is less restricted (to what degree, I cannot say). I agree with this because of racing engines manifold being "polished and ported" is similar for the same reason. Also I think the purpose was to keep the vortices (the swirling effect of the gasses) inside the neck rather than outside in the throat of the rifle to errode the throat. That also makes sense to me but I can't confirm it even though I heard it several times.

The 375 Weatherby is not an over-bore caliber. It is very well matched, powder capacity to bore diameter and its expansion ratio is quite high. I would not suffer from the barrel burner problems of the large powder to bore ratio calibers such as the 378, 300, 240 Wby's or the RUM's.

I have had no headspace difficulties with it even though it doesn't offer what I like to see as a large flat head space datum point. And certainly we would want to headspace on the shoulder, not the belt.

The down side of it is you'll really need to commit to the price of brass. I've heard for many years that you just fire H&H ammo to form brass. In my experience doing so in either the 375 WBY or the improved versionns listed above, it doesn always work so well. Sometimes the brass will split at the shoulder and sometimes that can be a problem. You can however fireform with corn meal or just a case full of slow extruded powder to shape the shoulder. I recently formed 100 cases with these two methods for the 6.5x300 Wby which was custom chambered to move the shoulder forward a bit.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 375 wby

Been "fire forming" for 375 Wby brass for years (10-15+) and never had a problem other than the necks come out a little short and sometimes a little uneven so need to make sure cases are trimmed after fire forming. Also have a 375 Ackley chambered by Huntington's. Of interest is that there is a minimal loss of vel. with fire forming factory H&H and my accuracy was right at MOA!! Now for the 375 Wby I use factory brass but for years there was no factory brass available. In general I get about 150 fps over a hot loaded H&H.

Default Brass

I've been using the Hornady basic belted magnum case and simply running them in my full length .375 Wby die, then trimming. It eliminates the short cases as a result of fireforming H&H, which probably just bug me more than they actually cause any negative effects. I'm sure the same could be done with the Improved version. I was suprised to find no headstamp, none. Not the manuacturer or anything. Kind of wierd looking with a blank headstamp. It seems to be quality brass with fairly consistent weights and has produced some fine groups.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."