Thread: What to do with spot of corrosion in barrel

Default What to do with spot of corrosion in barrel

OK, early this summer I finally "inherited" a long promised nice custom Mauser in 358 Norma Mag from my brother in law whose eye sight has kept him from shooting for years. I primarily bow hunt (and a little handgun) so I haven't played with it but decided I want to get back into rifle hunting & maybe catch up with a fall blackie.
    So...
    Finally took it out last night to clean it & there appears to be a spot of corrosion internally on one side of the barrel. Enough that you can see it as a dark matte toned spot, probably 10" forward of the chamber. Maybe an inch long & covering a third of the circumfrence of the barrel.
    I put Birchwood casey gel borescrubber in & let it sit over night & then scrubbed it this morning & the spot is still evident. I'm not thru as patches still come out dirty, but I don't think bore cleaner is going to remove this spot. Pretty sure it's corrosion. Rest of the barrel appears fine.
    Where do I go from here in dealing with the spot?
    It came with 6 loaded rounds & I'm getting ready to order dies, brass, & bullets.
    I've always wanted a gun in this caliber, but don't want to waste my money if it will never shoot.
    Do I shoot the 6 handloads that came with it & see how they do?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

A spot of corrosion in the barrel doesn't mean the gun won't shoot. I have an older inherited Marlin with a bore like a sewer culvert that shoots as good as most guns of its type. I've personally fired an 03 Springfield that shoudn't be able to hit a barn its bore is so bad from years of corrosive ammo and poor care and it shoots almost MOA.

Try to scrub the bore as best you can and see what it will do. It might just surprise you.

Are you using a good bore brush as well? Bronze or stainless bristles.

For awhile I was using 357 handgun brushes in my 35 caliber rifles, but I later bought some real 358 caliber rifle brushes that were longer and a touch larger in diameter.

I would nail the heck out of it with a bore brush and then hit it with a couple of applications of JB bore compound.

You may always have a visible rough spot in the bore, but as long as it is not actively rusting, it will probably shoot just fine.

Some overpriced dies for the 358 Norma Mag.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0007680210

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...582&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...560&t=11082005
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I once had a Remington rollingblock 7x57 mauser that looked like a gravel road down the barrel. That thing could still shoot 6" groups with iron sights at 100 yards. Nothing special, but I don't shoot open sights well either. I say shoot it and see how it does before you worry.

Have you tried shooting it out?

Hey guys.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Got a chance to shoot it last night.
    Conditions weren't real favorable (getting real dark, shooting over the truck hood & other various excuses), & I haven't shoot a rifle in at least 6 yrs other than a couple of times with a 22 a year or so ago, but I think it will shoot. I was only shooting about 55 yds, but it put 3 rds into about .75". I only had a total of 6 rds for the gun. They were handloads that came with it & I have no idea what bullet it was, weight, powder, etc. When my brother in law got the gun almost 20 yrs ago from a friend it came with 28 handloads, & these were the last of them. I hope to shoot it more in the next few weeks than it's been shot in the last 20 yrs.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."