Thread: Ft Rich Success

Smile Ft Rich Success

Went out in the evening on the 25th to my spot and saw a cranker bull cross in front of me about 200 yards. I couldn't close the distance so I called. I must be a sucky caller because he listened for about 10 minutes then I heard him bolting through the alders away from me. It got dark so I went home and hit it again in the am about 1000. Within 20 minutes I had a respectable bull step out (not the cranker I spotted the evening before), I ranged him and lead him because he had finding a cow on his mind and was not about to stop. I didn't lead him quite far enough and hit him a bit back. My arrow passed through a hind quarter (crappy shot, I know). He was bleeding pretty good, and to my amazement started grazing and slowly walking. I couldn't get closer to him for a follow up shot because there was nothing but open ground between us. I backed out got in my honky-truck and circled around to start my stalk again. I estimated where he may have gone, headed into the woods, and within 50 yards I saw him sleeping in a meadow in the sunshine not more than 20 yards from me. His head was up and I had a perfect neck shot. Not having ever shot an animal in the neck with a bow, I was hesitant and thought about getting him up for a boiler room shot. I decided to let one fly through his neck, did, and he stood up and trotted off 10 yards then stopped. Blood was pumping out his neck with each beat of his heart, but because he was still on the hoof I followed up with a pass through in the lungs. He jumped, turned toward me with his head lowered, and charged at 12-20 yards. I ran like a little school girl ducking behind some trees. He stopped, gave me another attempt to put my last arrow in his lungs, so I did. He fell over. I was able to get my truck to within 100 yards of the kill site (easiest pack I've ever done). After the conservation officer came out to assess the harvest I finished up the field butchering with the head in my truck at 1800 hrs. By midnight I had all the meat cleaned off and my supplies put away. The meat weighed at 658 lbs. The hide was estimated at 130 lbs, which I dropped off at the tannery. The hunt was great. I like doing it solo. The sense of accomplishment after a feat like that is indescribable. The good Lord blessed me with a strong back and meat in the freezer. Good luck to you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default congrats

Good looking bull and meat in the freeezer! Congrats
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default Good story

Glad to see you kept your head on straight and followed through. Nice bull. Gotta love the Ft. Rich hunts. I gotta wait until december for mine to start. Would be nice to tag a bull. So far only cows have fallen. Congrats you school girl!

Congrats, nice bull! What tannery are you using?

Default nice

Congrats, I drew the winter Ft. Rich hunt and I am getting more excited.

Default Sweet Bull

Man that thing went down like a Jack Russel

Default What Tannery?

Sharp4101, I'm using Alfa Fur Dressers (recommended by one of my taxidermists). I hope it turns out pretty cool. The da-gone thing was heavy as heck to pack out and to boot, I took my sweet time skinning the thing out.

Great bull, C&B! I would've peed myself to get a bull that nice with my bow. What did he tape at? Mounting the antlers?

Congrats!

Thumbs up Nearly!

I nearly peed myself three times on this one, 1. when I actually saw him come out where I guessed he would within 20 minutes of hunting, 2. when I walked upon him 20 yards away and knew he was mine, and 3. when he turned horn down and chased my sissy butt across the meadow. Conservation officer measured him at just over 55". I would have been happy to shoot a spike/fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    I would have been happy to shoot a spike/fork.
    I hear ya on that one! I was 35 yds from a fork and horn this year w/ an arrow nocked. Didn't work out with the bow but we got the moose though!

Congrats C&B, **** nice bull!! I sent you a pm.

Dude, that is one beautiful bull! Congratulations!

They've got alot of life in them, don't they? Great follow-up on your first shot.

Taylor

Congratulations!!! Nice bull and soooo close to home. What's for dinner?
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Great job C&B! Beauty bull!

Congratulations. Great bull and great story. J.

Default Good Job!!!!

Congratulations! That is a beautiful bull and a really cool looking set of antlers to boot!!!