Thread: Help answer this question???????

Default Help answer this question???????

OK so I have a 2007 Yamaha 660 Grizzly. I bought two 27x 12 x 12 tires ( Mudzilla's ) I put those on the rear and still have the stock 25x8x12 on the front. ( I think thats what the stock front are ). So the folks down at Yamaha told me that if I dont put close to the same on the front that I will tear up my Diffs when in 4 wheel drive!

SO is this true???? The tires mudzilla makes to go on front are 26 x 10x 12. So do I need to run to the store and get these tires or what???

THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP ON THIS!!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

You can mix different tire widths front and back, but for 4WD, you need the tire circumferences (or diameters) to be the same (or very close--much closer than the difference between 25s and 27s).

Don't get too hung up on the sidewall numbers--instead, take a measuring tape with you and measure the tire circumferences (around the centerline of the tread).

Also keep in mind that larger tires might necessitate that you also install wheel spacers, so that the tires (fronts are particularly vulnerable to this) don't rub while turning left or right.

Yup the only time you can really run two different sized tires front and back is when one runs taller and the other runs smaller. Tape them to see the difference. I recently switched from a 26" Mudlite to a 26" Swamp lite and the Swamp Lite though also a 26 like the Mudlite is every bit an 1"+ taller than the Mudlites were with the same air pressure in both. My 26" Swamp Lites are really close to 27" tall, the Mud Lites were like 25.5" tall. Your putting undo stress on the drivetrain by doing what you are doing.

You are going to tear up your 4 wheel drive system if you don't match up your tire sizes.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Well thanks guys`

I guess I got my answer.

Thanks for the info. I will get bigger tires on the front asap!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.