Thread: Conversion lens??

Default Conversion lens??

I have an Olympus SP-560UZ camera, it has a conversion lens with it. What is it used for?Thanks,Doug

A conversion lens for a point & shoot camera is an add-on device that extends the range of the camera's built in lens. They usually screw on to the end of the lens by way of the filter ring threads. Some of them are designed to make the lens wider and some are designed to make it longer. If it says something like 0.7x it is a wide angle adapter, and if it says something like 1.7x it is a telephoto adapter. The numbers are the multiplier for the lens.

Since the SP-560UZ already has an amazing range of 27mm to 486mm (in 35mm camera equivalent terms) I'm not sure how valuable it will be to you, but it's there if you want it. The problem with them is that they do degrade the image quality a bit. Not so much with the tele-conversion lenses, but the wide ones cause a lot of barrel distortion that is usually seen at the edges.

I have a 0.7x wide adapter that I think is great on my Panasonic, but that camera only gets to 35mm on the wide end, and needs some wider assistance at times.

These are very different than the tele-converters used for SLR cameras. Those adapters fit between the lens and camera body, and are only tele-adapters, as It would not usually be possible to make a wide adapter this way. They degrade the image *and* reduce the light getting to the camera. Your's does not reduce the light or effective aperture.

Default Thanks Jim

That was explained better than I could've hoped for. I will mess with and see how it does, I might end up leaving it in the box.Thanks again,Doug