Thread: My first moose

Default My first moose

Well, I've chased them around the woods and floated rivers the last three years with no success. Like many of you, I put in for the draw tags and thought I was wasting my money. This year when I looked up the hunt numbers, I again expected to find nothing, but low and behold I had been drawn for cow tag on the Little Su. I was ecstatic to say the least! The hunt turned out to be tougher than expected. Water levels were low and my jet boat was overloaded, so after grounding a half dozen times the decision was made to float from Parks to Berma landing in my 14' drift boat. It was an enjoyable trip, of course we thought it would be easy to get a moose when we saw one the first night. It was in the middle of a corner with light rapids and we couldn't get the boat stopped and steady for a shot. By the time we got to the bank the cow had crossed to the wrong side of the river for my tag and it was posted. The next two days were solid rain, and no moose to be seen. When we reached Berma landing we packed up the boat and headed home skunked. It was time for plan "C". I found a 4 wheeler trail that would provide access to the area. After scoping it out I figured that my stock half worn out tires were not going to get me through the bogs on the trail. After mounting a set of mud tires on the wheeler, a friend and I went out in the evening to hunt for a few hours. About 20 minutes down the trail my partner spotted two moose, the bull wasn't legal but the cow looked good. He asked, "do you want to take her?" It didn't but a second to say "Yep" and squeeze the trigger. I was so excited, my first though was "I shot too soon." But I knew it was a good shot and grandpas' old Savage 99 .308 was dead accurate. She only went about 20 yards before she laid down and I put another in her head to end it quickly. She had fallen in about 6 or 8" of water with lumps of vegetation sticking out, not a bad spot, but the water was just over the top of my hunting boots. It had been a while since I'd butchered in the field, so it took a few hours but we had the wheelers loaded just after dark. Driving out in the dark was a little tricky as it was hard to figure out where the deep mud holes were, but after winching out a few times we made it out and loaded up the wheelers for the trip home. I am thrilled to have a freezer full of meat to feed my family this winter and glad to have pulled the trigger on my first moose.

Hopefully no ones offended at seeing a dead cow, I'd have liked to have a huge set of antlers to show off, but she sure tastes good.

Default Congrats...

Fishslayer...oops, I mean MooseSlayer. That will taste good during the winter to come. Way to stay the course and not give up.

Congrats!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Cant eat antlers anyhow!Congrats...and ENVY!

Default great

You stuck with it and it payed off. Very happy for you and your family. Now that the jinx in off you can't look for horns to eat

You got some fine meat and your first moose because you persisted in your efforts...god job!