Thread: First water foul experience

Default First water foul experience

Well really the second but I don't remember the first to clearly. OK hunted cranes on a farm field for the first time. They are much easier to spook than I had thought they would be, kinda like turkey hunting in that respect. Had fun but came home empty handed. I hope to be going out for duck next week if I can get enough of the shed finished.

PS this whole ducks and geese thing is looking like it has a ton of potential to be allot of fun!

BTW still hunting everything with a bow this year.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Picked up a call and some decoeyes. I feel like a ass using the call but I think I'll be heading out again tuesday evening.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Harvested my first duck ever tonight! Shot it at about 15-20 yards with a bow. Pics to follow. Cant wait to get back out with some decoyes and a call.
    BHA Member

Quick photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

That is pretty cool Rick. I have taken a few ptarmigan and spruce hens over the years with a bow, but I am not going to attempt that on a duck.

That appears to be a hen goldeneye. Not the greatest tasting duck out there, but if well cared for it won't make you stop waterfowling.

Great Job. Not an easy task
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Congrats to you. One good shot makes it all worthwhile. Hope you get a crane.

Default Flu flu

Got to try some of these for birds...Have considerd hunting ducks and geese at finger lake since it is open for bows,,,,Think we talked about this earlier in the season..I have yet to try it..and with the low numbers on the this year so far...hard to get some even with the shotgun...great shot man...congrats..as you are probably one of the few that fall into the Tred Barta philosophy..." I did it the hard way...my way"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so rick the next question was it on the wing? i watch a video of Pheasant hunting all had to be on the wing and it was harder then it looked... 8 guys they all got skunked but seemed to have a ton of fun
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so rick the next question was it on the wing? i watch a video of Pheasant hunting all had to be on the wing and it was harder then it looked... 8 guys they all got skunked but seemed to have a ton of fun
    Say what? Can pheasants fly?

Not on the wing, but at 15-20 yards shooting from a kneeling position in a canoe that duck looked really small. Gave it another try tonight but the little devils got wise to my game. Did atempt a couple of wing shots that were amazingly close, on 2 shots the fletchings did make contact with the bird! 1 or 2 more trips and I should have the timing down.
    BHA Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ever try the little wing breaking baskets? they are only good to about 25 yards on my 65 lb bow but work great on grouse as they are lifting off...i forget what they are called but i have several here someplace
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Snaro is the critter your talking about. My friend Jerry loves his, I gave the one I purchased to him.
    BHA Member

Dang, Rick. That's impressive.

I'm going out for my first duck hunt of the season at 0:dark:30 tomorrow. But I'll be using a Remington...

Thanks Mauser but I'm not the only trad shooter in this forum who has taken ducks by a long shot. One young man in particular who I hope is doing well at college harvests duck this way on a fairly regular basis!

Really hit with the "before snowfall" honey do list but I plan on at least a couple of evening duck hunts next week. Definitely going to try hunting them over a spread using a call.

PS A good friend of mine thinks "snipe" should be my next target.
    BHA Member