Thread: Future musher looking for advice

Question Future musher looking for advice

Hello all. I’ve got a 12 year old girl that is just dying to get into mushing. I was hoping that someone on the forum could recommend some books that would be good for her to read. She has devoured several books already, and just keeps wanting more. Additionally, if there are any mushers in the Valley area (we live on Fort Richardson), she would love to come over to help with the caring/feeding of your dogs a couple of times a week in exchange for some lessons/guidance/advice. She’s a great kid, very responsible and seems to have a “way” with animals of all types. Please respond via PM if you think you might like to have a young, eager, responsible future musher help out with your dogs. Thanks for your consideration

Winterdance by Gary Paulson is a great book. He is a respected young adult literature author. This book is not for young adults, but some of his YA writing style carrys over. My kids LOVE this book.
    Last edited by moose-head; 09-27-2008 at 10:58. Reason: spelling error

Hello & Bonjour !

Pls try this link and you`ll find some really great books about mushing:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16685

Take care !!

Greetings from Montréal, Juergen

Hello CenterMass,

We have a sprint racing sled dog kennel in willow, and if you and your daughter are ever in the area, drop me a line and you are welcome to visit our kennel. Once the snow is here, soon I hope, I could show her how we run dogs with a sled. An of course this is a biased opinion, but Mushing Magazine has great content for beginners and veterans alike, and also a Juniors section.

Best of luck with your daughter's great interest!