Thread: Badlands 2800 Pack Review

Default Badlands 2800 Pack Review

Got this pack as a early b-day/christmas present and dont, for now, have anything negative to say about the pack.

Bat-wing design is a must for bowhunters as it protects a majority of the bow and your arrows. Also, you can shove just about anything that will fit between the batwings, cinch it down, cross the bottom straps so it wont fall out and it will likely handle it.

Having a rifle/bow pouch is a must have and being able to store it in its own pouch is really nice. The addition of a rain fly for the pack is also very handy and it comes with a strap so you wont lose it!

The generous 95 oz water bladder is a nice feature for long hikes or places with limited water supply.

We haven't put a TON of weight (i.e. moose hind quarter) in the packs yet, but below, we packed out an entire grizzly hide with the feet and head still in the skin. We estimated the pack weight to be anywhere from 70-80 pounds...

In my badlands, I had:

1 Savage .30-06
    1 Ruger .338
    1 S&W 29.3
    2 cutco knives
    1 Ziess spotting scope and tripod
    1 tent
    1 sleeping bag
    1 stove
    Rangefinder
    GPS
    Clothing
    Water filter/purifier, and some other small items

The packs really swallow up the gear and when not really loaded down, you can forget you have it on. I wontfind myself hunting without it again...

Alaska_Lanche with the griz

Me with all the gear...

Granted, this isn't the most extreme thing done with these packs, but for what we had before and the given situation, I feel it did extremely well for what we asked of 'em. Couple the packs performance with their "No BS Warranty" and their is no reason not to buy one, IMO....

Hate 'em? Tell me why?

Thanks, Liked the review. Looks like a good pack for bear hunting anyways.

How come you had two guns?

I was carrying his also....

Out of curiosity, how long did you stay out? How many days do you think you could stay out with that pack? Why did you carry two rifles? Sorry man, I am a naturally curious person and a die hard Badlands fan, as well as a gear whore!
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long did you stay out? How many days do you think you could stay out with that pack? Why did you carry two rifles? Sorry man, I am a naturally curious person and a die hard Badlands fan, as well as a gear whore!

Well I'm not Hunt_AK, but I was the guy hauling the bear out with the pack so I guess I can answer. He had two guns because we wanted to share the load on the way back to camp. So he had my gun in addition to his gun so he didn't have to carry it.

On this particular trip we wheelered in instead of backpacking so we were using the packs as daypacks as we were coming back to the camp with where the wheelers were at each night. I think as anything more than an overnight you'd be far better off taking a real backpack, in my case my Arcteryx Bora 95 or Barney's packs. If you use the Badlands 2800 for what it was originally designed for which is as a large daypack to haul out what you killed back to the main camp you can't really go wrong.

As for how long can you stay out has a lot of variables.

Are you hunting?? What time of year??? How cold?? How far off the grid?

I've done an overnight and it was doable. However, the overnighter was in July so I didn't have much heavy clothing and a light 40 degree bag and what not. Still could have strapped a grizz to the pack but it would have been VERY full with a grizz and would have had to for go taking a spotting scope on a trip unless I was wanting to take two trips.

I am considering adding that and a binoc case to my 4500. The 4500 is a superb bag but it is way to big for a 3 day scouting pack. I was wondering if the 2800 would be good for that. The other pack I was considering was the 2200. I appears that a bunch of folks love those and I have seen pics where they were hauling elk quarters out with it. Knowing the 2800 is just a smidge bigger I was wondering what you opinion was as far as a good three or four day pack. I guess I should have just stated that earlier. My apologies!
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

If its just for scouting then yeah the 2800 would do all ya need to do. I could easily go 3-4 days solo out of the pack if I wasn't planning on hauling something out or had to bring a rifle along.

I've had two Badlands packs. They were both well thought out and comfortable but both had an annoying squeek coming from the hip belt when I walked. I returned both.

i have never had any of my badlands packs squeek. I bought them from bugsnbullets.com because they got me some free stuff with them, but my dad did have an OX that squeeked and badlands helped him fix that problem, it was just a bad fit

I was curious, did it take you very long glassing to find someone with a bear down so you could go pack it out for them (Please excuse my sense of humor). I have a smaller Badlands that I use on day trips that I love too. Seems to have lots of little pockets/straps/etc. for all the little things that make it a "must have" for me. I have used it for two years and it has held up like new. With all the weight you added, how have the seams held up?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

How quickly can you reach your rifle when it is on the back of the pack as in the pictures below? It appears that you would have to drop the pack and then retrieve the rifle.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Yes, you have to drop the pack. So far, the only animal that I've hunted that has required me to be handling the rifle ALL DAY is Sitka blacktail. Other than that, I've seemed to have enough time to do so...