Thread: marlin 45-70 guide 18.5"

Default marlin 45-70 guide 18.5"

Just purchased one that is factory ported, was talking to a friend who has somthing similar and said he mounted a red-dot and loves it..

Was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas/options for sights..

This will be a "camp-gun" so a scope is out of the question its primary function is bear defense..

any comments/suggestions appriciated

I love the red dot on my mod 29 for hunting, but on a gun that's primarily for bear defense I would stick with iron sights, probably a ghost ring peep with a high vis front.
    I don't like the idea of a sight I have to turn on for bear defense or that the battery can fail on.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I stuck a set of Wiliams fire sights on mine. Works well.

I have AO Ghost Ring sights on mine. It's a very fast sighting system for both hunting and defense.

Mike

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp Check these out. In my opinion they are the best option for open sights on a GG that will see rough use. They sure dont give them away though, so be prepaired for some sticker shock.

I had the WWG sights on mine but have since removed them and sold to a friend. Saving up for the Brockman's.

Also, if your not a fan of the ported barrel (I was not) you can cut the barrel down behind the ports and still have 16 3/8" of barrel left. Of course you then need to have it drilled and tapped for the front sight.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

We worked up one for my neighbor. We put ghost rings on his and a scout scope rail out on the barrel. He has a 1.5 or 2 power scout scope on there and that rifle shoots pretty good groups.

We had to take his stainless Marlin apart and buff the heck out of the interior guts, it was really rough. Plus we found out that the loads that proved accurate in my Winchester 1886s were not the best handloads for his rifle.

For his Marlin Guide Gun, we have found that a regular Remington 405 grain Bulk-Bullet, 50.0 grains of IMR 3031, R-P brass, CCI-200 primer with a COL of 2.545 (Lee factory crimp)
    Gives him 1,650 fps from his 18.5 inch barrel and a 1.0 inch group at 100 yards. We have fired several groups and every darn one on them comes in at one inch. That is a good consistant load. And it does not make your dental fillings fall out from shooting it.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default WWG sights on mine

Williams has some nice sights, but I went to WWG and had them take off my XO sight (no good in my opinion) and they installed there's, plus put a new extractor in and a fiber front sight. I am very please with all the work they did.

Tony

+1 on the Brockmans. I'll be replacing my WWG sights with the Brockman in the spring. I'll probably spring for the tritium front sight.

I had the Williams Fire Sight and ghost ring on mine, but I can't shoot worth a dang with peep sights, so I went back to a 2-7 Leupold Vari-X II. works fine for me. Quick and low enough power for up close, and enough magnification for my effective range.

I have an XO gost ring and front sight (formaly asley sights) and with its wide white blade front sight it is readly found for fast shoots and very tuff. I first bought the willaims sight being made 20 miles from where I live, but the XO is way better for shots out to say 75 yards after that a finer sight like the willaims would be better.

I did after two years replace the peep for a 1-4 scope that is better for what I hunt with it mainly deer and black bear.

The ultra dots are a good setup and the smallest/lightest of glass to mount on a marlin. I will have to say the XO is a great camp/defence sight system for fast have to make it shoots.

One of comment is from my experance the 405gr rem is a very light skinned bullet that works great on white tail deer but I would feel better shooting brown bears with a tougher bullet than it. Even a 300 and something hard cast seem better to me for big animals.

For the Model 1895 Marlin in 45-70 you can't do better, in my opinion, than Brockman sights with the tritium front.

Default Skinner Sights

skinnersights.com

I have these on my stainless GG, and WWG sights on my blue gun. Both are great, the skinners in brass look nice with the stainless. And have plenty of room to accomodate a scout scope rail. The guy who makes the Skinner sights is awesome to deal with - will even replace the sight if you mess it up during installation. Can't beat the price, too.

Chris