Thread: Tach harness on a 50hp Yamaha

Default Tach harness on a 50hp Yamaha

I've got a 4 stroke 50hp yamaha outboard that i've bought a yamaha tach for & i can't find the plugs on the engine to where to plug in the harness. Anybody know where the plugs might be hiding/located?? i've gone to the yamaha shop on spenard and the guy that should know is on vacation. Its been making me crazy not being able to find it !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I went through the same thing, mine is a tiller so it may be a little different. Look on the side of the engine with the oil filter, you will find a plug in there, what threw me off is that the wires are a different color, I belive the wires coming out of the motor to the plug are all pink. The plug in may have a cover over the connections. But look for the pink wires and you should be able to get it hooked up. I had one wire that went to my tiller handle that was for the RPM knock down switch, I had to pull the bottom cover off the tiller, then take out the shift and throttle cables and the wires are under there, not as big of deal as it sounds. Let me know if this doesn't work and I can try and explain it better.

Default tachs

My T-50's hooked up off the Remote controls. Pretty simple, mine are 03 and 04. $350 a piece in 04. The connections were plugged with black rubber caps I believe. I talked to the guys at Deweys when I was finishing my boat. They know their stuff. I just can't quite remember for sure how I did it, it was factory connections though.

Yeah, if you have remote controls, it will plug into the wiring behind the throttle. Don't ask me which wires, I don't know. Just remember in the manual when I installed my motor, the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I went through the same thing, mine is a tiller so it may be a little different. Look on the side of the engine with the oil filter, you will find a plug in there, what threw me off is that the wires are a different color, I belive the wires coming out of the motor to the plug are all pink. The plug in may have a cover over the connections. But look for the pink wires and you should be able to get it hooked up. I had one wire that went to my tiller handle that was for the RPM knock down switch, I had to pull the bottom cover off the tiller, then take out the shift and throttle cables and the wires are under there, not as big of deal as it sounds. Let me know if this doesn't work and I can try and explain it better.
    I found a plug with 4 pink wires, one is all pink, 2 are pink w/white tracer & 1 pink w/black tracer is that the one you plugged the harness into?? here's a pic of the plug i found on the engine. My engine is a F50TLR and they set it up with a steering console but i'd bet the plug ins are the same. Do you have the digital tach w/ the trim indicator, oil alarm and temp alarm??? thats what i have.
    P9290016.JPG

P9290017.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    My T-50's hooked up off the Remote controls. Pretty simple, mine are 03 and 04. $350 a piece in 04. The connections were plugged with black rubber caps I believe. I talked to the guys at Deweys when I was finishing my boat. They know their stuff. I just can't quite remember for sure how I did it, it was factory connections though.
    I bought the boat thru Dewey's and it was such a nightmare dealing with those guys i don't want to go back there unless i absolutely have to. Anything i ever asked them the answer i always got was "you have to bring it in for us to do it".
    Is your harness connected off off the foreward/neutral/reverse control? Mine has these wires hanging off the side of it, kind of a shoddy way of connecting things like gauges if you ask me. Here's a pic of my wiring off of the control box
    wire pic.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default I would say that is it

the pic looks like what mine were, if my memory serves me correct. Mine were off the front of the controls it seamed like. Should just be a plug n go deal. Do you have the instructions or manual? I might be able to find mine. I now remember a solid band of wires, round with a bunch of wires in there. I think the end of it had the plugs like your pic. All I know to do is plug in what looks like where it might go. If the tach works then you got it right. Keep experiementing. I do know some of the wires are for the "HOT FOOT" attachement. Gas peddels for your boat that control the throttle some how. So the manual might be best.

I bought my motors new from Deweys. I installed myself. Went in and asked a lot of ?'s and bought a few things. I always went to the back corner by all oil and grease. There is a little window there. The older gentleman with gray hair aswered all my rigging ?'s. From spacing them with twins to whatever. I wired and did my whole boat for the first time, GPS and all with out a problem. Just not sure. I was on the boat this weekend and forgot to look. I could stop in and take a pic for you sometime if i get a chance.

All I can say for sure is the connections should look like what is in the pic. Don't touch anything inside the cowling, could be very bad.

If you have remote throttle, the wiring is done there. No need to mess under the motor cowl. You just need to figure which plug behind the throttle it is connected to.

Spent 30sec's with google and came up with this. Read a few entry's and came away with the feeling that a couple guys there really know thier stuff. They go so far as to ask year and model before answering, showing that they know the differences between models, and thats reassuring.

Who'd a thunk that there would be a Yamaha Tach forum? Not me.

http://forums.iboats.com/Yamaha-Outboards/Tachometer

I found the site slow to refresh, but it works. Post up,one of these guys can help.

Good luck, Bob

Thanks BB i'll sign up and post my problem on there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692