Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunt report with pics

Default Moose hunt report with pics

On Sept 11 the river was rock bottom low and canoe only, so went up five miles from home and set up hunting camp on bluff we like to glass from:

View from up there:

Had a buddy flying in to go hunting with me, rained three days straight after that last pic and nearly made airstrip unusable. But it meant we'd use the jonboat and godevil instead of canoes, and for the next ten days we covered a lot of river miles and some very cool skinny-water country:

More on next post...

Default continued...

Had some success when this bull was spotted with a cow along the river bank:

He ended up walking back thirty yds off river after lung shot and nearly dropped into this beaver pond. Needless to say, the position of body made butchering somewhat difficult, but sure could have been worse if he'd fallen one foot farther!:

We got this guy butchered and hauled back home:

Last in next post...

Living the dream. Nice bull, Mark.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default continued...

So we were in the meat again after an entire summer of eating grayling and whitefish, very thankful and that first bull still had plenty of fat on him, pulled three gallons of kidney fat off kidneys! My wife decided to cook up some of the ribs and made a couple rolled rib roasts, tied with backstrap sinew, and along with homegrown cabbage and frest taters and town treats my buddy flew in we were eating like kings:

Headed back upriver and on float back down there was a small spike-fork bull standing on bottom of gravel bar and another meat bull would fill the meat shed for winter. Only took a couple hours to butcher him and get it all in the boat, but coming down through "******* Rapids" I skimmed one of the sharp shale rocks with back right of boat...didn't think much of it until a minute later I felt my feet getting awful cold and looked down and I was standing in ankle-deep water in stern pouring in through an 8" gash where bottom of boat is welded to side. Yelled to my buddy to "run and grab some roller logs quick when I pull over to the next bar!" but had to run a section of rapids first with boat getting sluggish (and full<grin>). We ran up and found what drift we could to lay down on bar and then I pushed out and revved up and rammed boat on the rollers. Jacked it up with a lever log and bailed and checked out the damage:

Old boat on its last legs really, managed to get some waterbond (stick epoxy) to hold fairly well from inside, not so good from outside, waited some fifteen minutes and pushed out and patch was holding. Was a bit paranoid though about the temp fix so every shallows for the next 25 miles my buddy and I both would lean heavily left <grin> so as not to hit that part of boat again. Made it home fine and got meat hung...and we are set for winter, such a good feeling. Temps in the high teens at night now, barely reaching fifty during the day, so meat should keep fine in the meat shed.

Thanks to Wright Air Service for once again providing such a great service with their Helios, which as they say are "super cubs on steroids" <grin>. Here's as shot of Sean coming in for a landing on our "cub" strip, with a 750# load of supplies to boot:

So that's the story from north of the Yukon where the tributaries are now dropping fast and the ponds and eddies are freezing. Fantastic hunt with good friends and beautiful country.
    Best to all,

Great story and congrats on a full meat shed. Enjoyed the story and the photos.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

true history of the hunt ... loved the story and the pics ... I'm glad you were able to fill the shed cause in the end thats all that matters.

Mark,

Great pics and story, and glad you have meat thru the winter! Looks like the boat made it through another summer, even if just barely.

Default Awesome

great story and great pics! Very beautiful spot! congrats on the full meat shed!! One day I will get off the road system and do a hunt like that!

Default Dinners served

I really like the looks of that rolled rib roast! Was that off the young bull? I bet he'll eat real nice.

I'm glad you managed that boat incident well enough. Talk about traveling prepared. Its sweet you were carrying a repair epoxy with ya.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Looks like a couple of tasty moose Mark!

Congrats on getting the meat fix for the winter, that's got to feel good knowing that you will all be eating like kings this winter. Good job Mark!!

Default Excellent Mark!

Glad you got some meat put up. Your pictures are simply awesome!

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Thanks...

For taking the time to share your hunt with everyone. You are living the life that millions could only dream of.

Great story and photos. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mark, congratulations on the moose! Beautiful scenery in those pics! Thanks for posting!!!

Default Mark

Mark

Good to see you stocking up & thanks for bringing it here to show us

No bears? A guy needs a little pork(bear) too. With the lack of salmon up there your bears must be berrie fat, eh?
    Just you and the wife now, isn't it? Your buddy take any meat back? Save the cape? Salted cape from a mature bull would sure help pay for a charter. Lifesize bull hide might cover a whole trip out and back in.
    Looks fun alright, I remember eating fish most of the summer/fall, until that first fresh moose.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Definitely some beautiful country and good hunting luck. How do you like the Go-devil?
    Congrats!! akraven

Thats a beautiful place you got there, and Congrats!

Sounded like a fantastic trip!
    Congrats to all concerned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast