Thread: Palmer flats and Traps

Default Palmer flats and Traps

I heard that there are "lots" of traps in the Palmer Hay Flats - It would not be too cool to see my girl get a broken leg while trying to jump some ducks.

Anyone have input on how many traps there may be - and maybe where they are located???

Default Traps

I like to remain as optomistic as the others on here. But to give locations of the traps would be impossible,,,unless you were the one that placed them. Then they would be out of regulation because they did not pick them up..so giving their location up would bust them out. Now..if there are people that found them and did not pick them up..then that would be unusual as well as most people don't hesitate to pick them up for themselves. If they did find one..it should have a tag on it providing the persons name and address to contact in the event they did lose one or misplace it, or the animal pulled it free and later died,,call them and let them know you found it. I would not worry about anything out there big enough to "break a leg" or for that matter even a toe. I have trapped for over 20 years and can tell you that it would take a number 4 coil spring or bigger to do that even with a light shoe on...most people I know are wearing pretty stout boots that are walking and jumpshooting so the odds are with you and your daughter on that. IF you do find one...please PM me because I want it! I have trapped out there in the past but always pick mine up when I am done..as any trapper should. Odds are that a limb or ice for that matter or something has triggered it and it is no longer a threat...just posting some reality here on the subject.

Good luck with the ducks

Default Thanks

That gives me some piece of mind.

The "girl" that I referenced is my chocolate lab puppy....

Mostly I imagine that people are trying to trap the many muskrats that I saw....?

traps don't have to have identification tags, so trying to contact someone would be a waste of time. If they are traps for muskrats left over from winter than they should be about a size one. If it does grab it will skin her up maybe a little depending how hard she fights it but not much else. Plus most people I know don't anchor their rat traps to anything to big that she would be stuck to trying to pull free. If they are coyote or fox traps well that's a different story. Trapping season hasn't started yet in that area so any fresh ones and I would let someone know especially since so many people have dogs out there. Most folks who have their traps out year round set them off and hang them in a tree at the end of season, so that they don't have to lug them out again next year. I doubt anyone is doing that on the flats or they would be gone by now. If you see one set it off and leave it for someone else to possibly take or take it with you. That's a call you have to make there. Out there in the flats still set, I'd consider it lost. My suggestion is to always carry a decent set of linesman's pliers at all times if your dog is in the field. If they hit a snare left in the woods and you get there soon enough or they stay within eyesight and you see them fighting it cut that bad boy off. I really suggest that for the guys that use their dogs for grouse in the Palmer/Wasilla/ Point Mac area. I would also try hitting up a neighbor and having them show you how each trap or snare is released if you are not familiar with them. If you remember a couple years ago, the things that caused a stir for trappers was a couple dogs caught in snares and at least one I know of that got caught in a cubby set with a 330 body gripper. The guy didn't know how it worked and watched his dog die. Sorry to be so long winded but I really suggest carrying pliers and getting familiar with the traps they could get into. While I don't set in the areas people use locally for grouse and rabbits there are alot of people that do and don't remember where they put their stuff, or they can't find it after a snowfall. Snares that were set low enough for fox and coyotes with their noses running a little closer to the ground during the snow (or a poorly set rabbit snare with a huge loop), are quite a bit higher when the snow leaves and dogs running with their heads high can get right into them. Not trying to scare you but just give you a heads up.

It is not required to have ID on traps, it is not trapping season(nov.10th), and most people out their mostly trap muskrats and are using itty bitty traps. Ive caught my hand in #1 and #2s and they don't evan break skin.

Default thanks

I don't know that I would know how to release a "cubby" trap...the rest i can figure out. I always have my leatherman with me - it 'might' cut a snare off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I don't know that I would know how to release a "cubby" trap...the rest i can figure out. I always have my leatherman with me - it 'might' cut a snare off.
    A cubby trap is one inside a hole usually with a foothold trap...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default ok

What is a 330 body gripper?

330 body gripper is a killer type trap, if an animal goes through it it snaps shut killing them within minutes.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default google

is a great thing http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/330modi.pdf

Okay - at least I kinda know what I am looking for. How would you "disable" it?

Well- hopefully the dog doesn't get into one of those. She stays really close (too close most of the time) -

Default you tube

Go to you tube and type in somthing like, "setting a 330 conibear".

Default Here is a link on how to release a pet

I don't believe your dog is in danger. The trapping season is closed and muskrat traps are not going to injure a dog. This link is for info anyway.
    http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/doc/PetOwners.pdf