Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide Gone Wild, Kotzebue

Default Guide Gone Wild, Kotzebue

I just returned from a great Caribou hunt out of Kotzebue. We took 4 nice bulls and probably saw 2000 animals. Mike with Ram Aviation flew us out and as usual did a great job. Ram Aviation and Northern Air Trophy (Matt) said that they were both between 95% & 97% successful this year on their Caribou hunts and they had 9 moose horns sitting
    there with the smallest one being 61" and the biggest one at 67", all were very nice and makes me want to put in for the drawing next year.

While I was at the airport getting our gear gathered up, there was a lot of talk about how a guide (won't put his name on here yet) that has a lodge on the Wulik river buzzed some hunters in his super cub and landed to harrass them. Not once did he land but twice. It turned out that he didn't like them hunting on "his land" (which is State land) and shook his fist and cussed them out. After taking off he buzzed the Caribou away from them and finally left. Needless to say the State Trooper that handles the fish and game was taking statements from the hunters and getting their photos and video and the Trooper said they were going to cite him for the "hunter harrassement" law. Not long after we saw the FAA there talking to the hunters about him buzzing them with the airplane.

If anyone knows anymore about it or was involved please join in.

Guides gone wild seems to be a growing problem from what I hear!

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post

Guides gone wild seems to be a growing problem from what I hear!
    He wasn't getting nekid was he

This type of junk does seem to be getting out of hand, & will probably increase as legaly accessible, non-draw areas get fewer.
    Best thing to do is deal sternly with it now.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

sorryand surprised to hear that especially after the attention and convictions given the byron lamb incident from last year. Hope the state police and faa handle this as severely

I also hope that they give him the stiffest penilty aloud by law... This is uncalled for, I in the past have also been buzzed by pilots chasing game away from me, I just wish that they would have landed like this guy did...

I do not know how to access the info but wouldn't something like this be posted in the trooper log. I have seen prior internet entries (cut and past?) for trooper log entries posted on this forum.

Here is the link for the AK trooper dispatch.

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispatch/

I went through the reports and didn't find anything on this.

Default Moose Have Horns?

I didnt know moose had horns, what kind of tune do they like to play?
    Pick A Spot

Default Horns and Point Hope Slaughter

Usually a B flat.

Anyway I heard that the case went to the DA's office in Kotzebue so maybe they don't post anything on the trooper site until it goes through them or they are charged.

I also heard while I was up there that the State was trying to get the venue changed on the Point Hope Caribou massacre from Point Hope to somewhere else. Kind of tough to get convicted if your tried by your relatives and friends. It almost sounded like if they didn't get the venue changed that the State wouldn't press on with it.

Default On par

Usually a B flat.

Anyway I heard that the case went to the DA's office in Kotzebue so maybe they don't post anything on the trooper site until it goes through them or they are charged.

I also heard while I was up there that the State was trying to get the venue changed on the Point Hope Caribou massacre from Point Hope to somewhere else. Kind of tough to get convicted if your tried by your relatives and friends. It almost sounded like if they didn't get the venue changed that the State wouldn't press on with it.
    I would expect nothing less than a dismisal of the charges against these criminals. Their actions while criminal will be condoned and swept under the rug by their peers. CARIBOU BEWARE !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Bad year for unethical hunters

It seems this kind of thing has happened alot this year. I had someone come and camp right next to me and shot a moose a couple hundred yards from my tent door! Then my buddy had someone come in and land on his strip, used his tent and gear when he wasn''t there and had a couple hunters in his camp (he is working on getting his outfitter liscense). Another camp out by mine had two guys come and hunt right on top of them and shot a bull right out from under them. Have heard of others this year as well. All I know is something needs to change. There were problems back in the day but not anything like this. I am not sure what should or can be done.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    I had someone come and camp right next to me and shot a moose a couple hundred yards from my tent door! (
    Should have been looking out the tent door!!!!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Question?

Then my buddy had someone come in and land on his strip, used his tent and gear when he wasn''t there and had a couple hunters in his camp (he is working on getting his outfitter liscense).
    Just a few questions;

Was the strip on his own private land?

Was the gear (tent and gear) there left alone because he was out hunting, or was it there as his way of claming the area?

I also heard while I was up there that the State was trying to get the venue changed on the Point Hope Caribou massacre....
    Umm...have persons actually been charged in that Pt. Hope thing?

It seems this kind of thing has happened alot this year. I had someone come and camp right next to me and shot a moose a couple hundred yards from my tent door!
    Did you fly in?

Then my buddy had someone come in and land on his strip, used his tent and gear when he wasn''t there and had a couple hunters in his camp (he is working on getting his outfitter liscense).
    What do you mean "landed on his strip"?

What is an 'outfitters license'?

Default answers

No, I did not fly out and I shouldn't have to worry about looking out my tent door. You just don't shoot anything right in front of another guys camp.

My friends strip is not on his own private land.

His gear was there for when he got out there to hunt. Again, it shouldn't matter. I would never use someone elses camp unless it would save my life or something. If he was going to land there and hunt, use your own stuff!

Guide Liscense.

Default Joke

My response was just a joke. If you look, the smiley face is at the top, thought it would come up next to the message. You did just step in it though, so be prepared for the responses about your buddy. I'll just get out of the way and watch.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

No, I did not fly out and I shouldn't have to worry about looking out my tent door. You just don't shoot anything right in front of another guys camp.
    200 yards is not right in front of your door.

Maybe they did not see your tent? Maybe they thought your tent was a 'dummy' camp like your buddies? Maybe when you snooze you loozzzzzz.

My friends strip is not on his own private land.
    Then it's not 'his' strip. Was it on PRIVATE LAND?

His gear was there for when he got out there to hunt. Again, it shouldn't matter. I would never use someone elses camp unless it would save my life or something. If he was going to land there and hunt, use your own stuff!
    There may be nothing illegal about staging gear in a pile...but it is illegal and unethical to go in somewhere and set up a camp to use later.

But I do agree. Use your own stuff. I actually have a hard time believing guys flew in to your buddies camp and did not have their own gear and used your buddies even if it was a dummy camp. But I guess it could have happened just exactly the way you said it did.

Guide Liscense.
    So if your buddy doesn't have a guide license why was he setting up a camp for a guided hunt?

When you say things like 'back in the day' makes me think you been around enough to know the rules. Then when you say on your buddies stirp, setting up camps for use later, implying that your buddy is outfitting OR guiding [which are NOT the same thing btw] 'clients, buddy working on an 'outfitters' license....which for sure means not legal to sell outfitted or guided hunts, then it seems like 'back in the day' means to you.....when a person could get away with such stuff as claiming strips and putting out dummy camps and running bootleg 'guide' or outfitting businesss......just what it sounds like to me....

Then you want to complain about somebody shootin a moose too close to your 'camp''????????

Default Ok

Good thing I have my boots on! I never said he was going on a guided hunt. The guy who moved in and used his gear is going to be a guide, not my buddy. My camp was not a "dummy" camp nor was my buddies camp. It has been in the same spot for 20 years. I guess it is ok for other people to move in on camps that have been in place for years. The troopers called it trespassing, using other peoples property without permission.

Sorry Blackfoot, did not mean to get defensive.

Default I would have shot too

If it is not private property, just a camp. If you are sleeping or not there and a legal animal appears, it is gonna die, sorry. It is not, not ethical to do that. You can hunt with presumption somebody might want that moose instead of me. Or somebody might be in that tent sleeping. If it is public land and moose is not in your tent, Boom. Snoose you loose is exactly how I would put it too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast