Thread: Sixmile Creek anyone?

Default Sixmile Creek anyone?

I'm planning on a crisp fall run of Sixmile Creek tomorrow (Saturday), and was wondering if anyone else is interested? We will be in a raft, but we play well with kayakers, canoers and IKers, and are looking for additional boats to come along.

The water level is projected to be about 9.5 feet, which is moderately low, and a fairly safe level. The weather is supposed to be nice too.

Sixmile is a class IV-V run, but at lower water levels becomes a bit more docile. If we portage Staircase there is nothing left more than a class IV, as Suck Hole gets easy at low water. You also don't have to run the lower canyon, where all the serious fun is. If you ever wanted to paddle this creek, these are the conditions to do it. But no beginners, please. My boat's full, but if you have your own, send me personal message with your phone number, and I will call you tonight. I'm also listed in the phone book.

If we miss connections for some reason, the planned schedule is to leave town about 10 am, and meet at the put in about 11:30. We hope to be on the water by 12:30, and back in Anchorage before dark. I know this is late notice, but I hope to see some of you tomorrow. Either way, I'll try to post some pictures later just to show you what you missed.

Jim Strutz

More info about Sixmile here: http://paddling.jimstrutz.com/page6.html

Have had a late cancellation, and now I have a couple seats open on my raft. If you are interested give me a call. My phone number is in the Anchorage phone book(s).

Was a great trip. We just did the first two canyons, but the weather & water cooperated, so we all had fun.

Default As I sit here in bethel

I weep.. Would have love to join the trip in my IK. Glad it went well and the brisk weather was good.

Chris

OK, by popular demand, we're planning another trip this coming Saturday, Oct 4. But with a little more notification this time. And if for some reason the weather refuses to cooperate (rising water levels from excessive rain) we'll shoot for the following Saturday.

I'm looking for anyone wanting to drive their own boat, because it looks like mine will be full. As long as you have some decent experience in making your boat behave, I can talk you through what to expect at each drop, and how to approach it. The water will probably be quite low with narrow slots, but the risk factor goes down at these levels.

Please respond to my email at jstrutz at acsalaska dot net.

Default Six Mile

Hi Jim,

I am not experienced in class IV/V water, but would welcome the opportunity to float with someone who is experienced. If you or someone you know will be floating and has additional room I am physically fit, have necessary clothing / helmet and take instruction well. I would like to get in some nice floats next summer, so I hope to hook up with others who will be getting out on the water. I have a power drifter, and my greatest rafting experience is doing the Kenai canyon, so nothing too challenging to date.

It looks like the weather will be cooperative, and from the responses I've gotten there should be a couple rafts, and possibly kayakers as well. Still looking for more boats to confirm though. Right now we have one paddle powered 12' self bailer that needs a few healthy paddlers to come along, and it looks like my 14' SB has an empty seat or two. If you want to ride bring your own PFD & paddle. Also bring drinks and a light lunch in a small drybag if you want.

The water will be right at or just below 9.0', and that is pretty low. Figure on class III+ to IV- water. I will be portaging Staircase at this level, and the rest is relatively safe. Still, some of the drops will be tight, so perhaps more crash than splash will be the order of the day.

You need to dress warm, but drysuits are not an absolute requirement -- Just a huge preference. If you bring a drysuit be sure to have enough room for some fleece inside. One fairly warm, low cost option is to cut the feet off a pair of old neoprene waders. They stop the splash and add insulation. Fleece with a rain suit over can work, but bring extra clothes in a drybag in case you swim. Also bring gloves and a warm hat inside a lightweight helmet of some type. (bike, hockey, etc.) You're on your own for foot gear ideas. You need something you can swim in if necessary, but still be warm. I use neoprene socks inside neoprene boots, but there are other solutions.

We will meet at Carrs (Huffman) at 10 am, and caravan or car pool from there. We should be back in town before dark. (7 pm or so)

Email me if you want to join us with your boat or need a seat in our boats. Phone if absolutely necessary, but I prefer to deal with email, and check it often. My number's in the book(s) ---- jstrutz at acsalaska dot net

ps. I will continue to post any updates to this thread to keep from cluttering up the board. So check back for any late breaking news about this trip.