Thread: Snipe

Default Snipe

Anyone every try to eat snipe? Is it similiar to duck? The eat vertibrates - so I am not sure. I would like one for mounting - maybe a pair. They seem to be plentiful and also legal to hunt.

They are very similar to duck. The few I have had are not as ducky tasting.

Default Snipe

Great little target,,,number 4s in steel and lots of fun. Tons of them out at the Flats (Palmer). Almost one for one with them and ducks so far.
    Great table fare as well. wrap in bacon and grill or broil.

Default could have

I saw a lot of them and could have shot at several that were close, but I didn't - I might have to try to take a couple this weekend.

Those are some tasty little birds. I have shot a couple handfuls on slower days when the ducks aren't flying. They are kinda like dove in size and taste but it takes a few to make a meal. Be sure what you're shooting at is a snipe and not a curlew, yellow legs or some other shore bird. I'm not doubting you can't tell the difference, but I have seen people show me or take pictures of their "snipe" only to tell them that it is not. Anyway, they make that unique screeching sound when you flush them and they always have room on my dinner table. They don't taste like duck at all.

oh...man. They are a great little bird and fun to shoot. They fly low and zig zaggy. I don't pass them up even though it takes a lot to make a meal. They are great to add as a warm up meal before a fat mallard.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default got one

The dog jumped one and it landed close after I missed it - but the second time the snipe wasn't so lucky. Tasty indeed.

Also got one Widgeon - 7 miles walking for 2 birds - half was good walking and the other half was a fine workout. That swamp in the PHF is sure fun!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    They seem to be plentiful and also legal to hunt.

I am not sure if its in the regs... but i think a BAG and a flashlight, is required to hunt them........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Man that brings back memories