Thread: Kenai and jets

Default Kenai and jets

How hard is it to fish the lower Kenai with a Jetboat? How many fish it with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How hard is it to fish the lower Kenai with a Jetboat? How many fish it with them?
    Not hard at all. Almost nobody. There are a few though...mostly smaller jon boat style boats. The horsepower restriction on the Kenai is the biggest limiting factor.

Default backtrolling

I guess I could have been more specific - what about backtrolling on the kenai with a jet?

haven't seen anyone doing it but I'm sure it could be done, just not as effectively. My experience with an outboard jet has been that you have less control at low power levels, as used when backtrolling. Without the longer shaft and skag sticking down into the water you will probably see more problems maneuvering and holding position in the wind and waves/wakes in the more crowded sections if you plan on fishing the lower river in July. You might have better success just "dragging" through. Good places for that are Harry Gaines bluffs and Eagle Rock, but you probably knew that.

Default Kenai backtrolling

Did it for 4 years, very hard to do, almost impossible in a crowd. When the fleet of river yacht’s (i.e. Willies) start moving, forget it. If you must, pick to holes most people have moved on from, there it can be done. I would always catch my fish almost alone in July. The guides fish the lower like a flock of ducks, uncrowned holes can still be found on the river, if your patient. For me, I moved on to a prop, much easier, good luck.

I have backtrolled with a jet, though not on the Kenai. I had to drive versus fish though. Can be pretty tricky but doable.