Thread: My home made Halibut sinkers

Default My home made Halibut sinkers

I found a way to make a mold for these bad boys that is super simple and CHEAP! Both of these sinkers are just over 2lbs. You can make then larger or smaller. I have a few quesions. What style do you prefer? I will be using 80lb PP braid. Can i just thread the line through the hole in the weight or do i need to use a slider?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default cans?

Tuna can and a smoked oyster can??

With a slider you can feel the bite better and the fish doesn't pick up the feeling of the weight as much.

The problem was with the flat sinker and how to get the screw eye in the end. I took and empty SPAM can and just screwed the eye all the way through the can near the bottom. i then just poured the lead in to cover the eye. none leaked out. it is VERY important that with any can it be clean and DRY!! if any moisture is in the can when the lead hits the moisture it instantly turns to steam and it spew molten lead far and wide. Trust me a burn caused my molten lead is nothing you ever want to go through. For the small can i used a miniture cat food can. when the lead hardens just tear the can apart and you have a good sinker.

Default Moisture in lead

Just like the moisture in the cans, you want to make sure the lead itself is dry. I had a very small amount of moisture on the lead when it hit the pot and like you said I had lead everywhere and it hurts bad. Luckily I wear glasses and just happened to have a long sleeve shirt and welding gloves on. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHILE DOING THIS OR YOU WILL WEAR IT !!!
    If you get lucky you can get some decent priced molds off Ebay. I have been making 20-24-32-40-48's for quite some time. I had no idea the prices on these had gone up the way they have, it is crazy. Anybody needing any of these weights make an offer or I will trade for tackle or whatever. 775-1919
    John

you might hook the weight up to a short 4-5 lb test leader so that it will break off and let you fight the fish without the weight. It may be more fun that way.

Default I wouldn't

make it so that it breaks off. There are a couple issues that I would have with that - lead isn't a good thing in our oceans - so don't leave it out there if you don't have to. Second - it would get quite expensive if your weight came off everytime you got bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    make it so that it breaks off. There are a couple issues that I would have with that - lead isn't a good thing in our oceans - so don't leave it out there if you don't have to. Second - it would get quite expensive if your weight came off everytime you got bit.
    That is a good point about the pollution potential, one I hadn't even considered. I wouldn't think it would be too bad, but any unnussesary pollution is something to think about which is why I stopped using WD-40 on my lures. As far as cost I use old weights from tires which are free and old tin cans so there is minimal cost. I tried using concrete, but it is too light. Maybe I will try lead then top it with concrete. that would keep the lead contained.
    Last edited by moose-head; 09-27-2008 at 10:32. Reason: added to a thought

How soluble is lead in water? If that is a problem we should be using titanium sinkers or at least concrete Do fish eat sinkers laying on the bottom the way it is alleged that ducks do?
    NRA Lifetime Member

NIce mold idea and advise on the moisture. I was smelting out side on the deck when a rainstorm came up and water ran off the roof onto the pot and I got away with a little lead on the arm, scarry stuff.

I took two 2x4's screwed together and used a paddle bit of the desired size and cut a few holes and could use the mold over again. Just an idea.

George

If you are woried about polution concrete will leech chemicles into the water as well. I don't think titanium would make a very good sinker. It wouldn't be very heavy and it would be quite expensive.