Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm

Default 10mm

I have a 10mm and carry it while hiking. It is light easy to carry and most of all i can shoot it very well. On the same note I have a 454 and a 500. I know they can do the job if that one in a million chance of a bad encounter did happen. I know there should be no question in which to use. But I find myself having to concentrate and really take time to get a good hit on a target with the 454 and 500. What I'm asking is has anybody actually heared of or had to shoot a bear with a 10mm? I have hiked all over AK and have had some pretty close encounters non of which I felt I needed to use a firearm. I'm almost to the point of not taking a firearm out when I go. But I know the day I don't bring it will be the day I will need it. So is packing a 10mm just a false sense of security? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    I'm almost to the point of not taking a firearm out when I go. But I know the day I don't bring it will be the day I will need it. So is packing a 10mm just a false sense of security? Thanks
    I bet the folks who were mauled this summer on bike trails wished they were packin. But then again, from what I read they were jumped and caught off guard so perhaps a havin a pistol was a moot point.

If it comes down to havin nothin or a 10mm, I'd take the 10mm. You'll break the hide and make some noise.

Me personally, I carry a S&W .44 4"bbl. It'll do the trick.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Go with the 10mm loaded with DoubleTapp. It's better to have something than nothing.

I have a 10mm and a .44, but carry the 10mm almost exclusively because it's light enough it stays out of the way and thus I won't "forget" it when I go brush busting for birds, fish, etc.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I know Jake (BRWNBR) has killed a grizz with his.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post

Really? Do you know if there was a story posted on that one? I'd love to read that!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    with the gun I built for him.

Default I agree

the 10mm is plenty. When riding on the bike lately I take the ruger LCP 380. Better than nothing. Have not tried the glock 20 with alaskan sportsman holster yet on the bike, love in the boat and in the raft or hiking.

Monday night I didn't take the LCP, sure enough on campbell creek trail near the ball parks behind the police station a blackie came out right as I passed it. Looked "gentle enough" and my little dog got on his butt=now that was funny. She is bread for it and was cool to see her in action. I called her off once they hit the brush and she actually listened! Still pretty cool, tonight I had the gun though.

Jake posted a story about the BB. He gut shot it at a lodge at night at 9 yards or so, charged him. Found it the next morning in a lake finished it off, it was mortal wound though.

Highly recommend the DT ammo for the 10mm, your not a man if your shooting anything else! Plus more importantly, your not using the caliber to its full potential.

Default 10mm

Sportsmans W had 200 grain Buffalo Bore ammo. Thats what I use. The DT is exspensive with shipping. Has any of you guys put a 6 inch hunting barrel on the G20?How much more FPS do you get with it? Is it worth the extra cash?

I traded off my casull this summer, I ended up carrying my 10 all this hunting season. It was nice to carry and with full house loads I felt good about it.

Just having it is good piece of mind and it really was alot nicer to pack than that redhawk. I might just carry it next year too.

Default 10 mm, Glock 20

I love my G 20. With 200 gn hard cast, wide meal plate at 1200 fps they penatrate just like a 44 mag and leave a heck of a large hole. I got an after market barrel to get more case suport and to prolong case life. I think that a person armed with a 10 mm with proper losds is well equipted for both 4 and 2 legged preditors.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

well......the 10 is better than a 9 for sure. I shoot exclusively 200grn. hardcast out of mine thus far in load development and practice, have yet to shoot any big game. Mike McNett done a comparison on the .44 mag(which I too own) and the 10mm, a 325(Beartooth) hardcast vs.200(Beartooth) hardcast @ 1300fps-both penetration results in ballistic gel where darn near identical.

I "feel" better equipped with the 629-1 4" and 280 WFNGC(Montana Bullet Works) but......if I had the 10mm near and the game a charging then I believe in having it and not-better than a sharp stick or a poke in the eye.

I like my G20 with the stock bbl and the 6" KKM-awaiting a long slide from Lone Wolf whenever it is finally produced for the 6".

Default >>>------->

Anyone know of any gun shops or tactical stores carry 10mm Double Tap ammo,or is it only available shipped?

Default Only available online

With the group buy last time. We got our bullets for $25 a box with shipping, Way cheaper than the crap at sportsmans. The buffalo bore would be good stuff. But talking about the Blazer or anything else that shoots like a .40. The fullhouse 10mm loads let you know what you are shooting. Double Tap is all that I shoot.

Doesn't take much to be dealer of his ammo. Not sure what the price would be retail. But if buying large quantities, like our group buy or larger, then sell them for $35 a box maybe a little less you could do alright with selling other calibers too. But a group buy is cheap enough. Once you get over 500 rounds you can mix and match, 200, 230, copper jacket just whatever. Last order 4 guys went in I think, we basically split a 500 round deal between two guys.

I got tire of carrying a 44 and recnetly got a 10mm after reading up on the laods avaible for it. I am very impressed so far. I feel comfortable with it other than a Kodiak brown.
    akraven

I've been working with 3 different 10MM's since 1989, 2 Colts and an IAI. I've settled on handloads with the Oregon Trail Lazer Cast 200gr flat point, which I file a bit to give it a wider nose, but not so much as to interfer with feeding. With full-house loads, penetration is fantastic and the wound channel is very adequate. It is very easy to carry, quick into action, and will smash through bone. Frankly, I love the round and (legally) carry it concealed in big cities with 135gr Corbons. It is not a 44mag., but far easier to carry and amazing at what it does to game (penetrates both shoulders on elk, so it will break some important bones on a Grizzly). Keep sharp in the Anchorage parks and stick with a very strong 200gr!

I have a 6" Jarvis pipe in my G20, and I shoot 200gr or 230gr hardcast flat-noses from Double Tap for my mountain loads. I'm getting @ 1230 fps out 230's and 1400 from the 200's.... they penetrate nearly as well as the 320gr hardcasts from my 44 mag, but the wound channel is smaller.

According to Mike at Double Tap the 200's hit board 23 and the 230's hit board 25 (3/4" pine) in a baffle box coming from a factory Glock barrel. He has customers that have taken Moose, Bison and Bear with these loads... they're more than adequate for bear protection if you're doing your part.

The reason I prefer the 10mm is the firepower of a mid-range .41 mag with 15+1 capacity. Everybody gears up for bears, but bear attacks are only one of the many life-threatening situations that one may encounter in the backcountry. If separated from my gear, I would much rather have 16 rounds of adequate than 6 rounds of nuclear... hunting, signaling, source of firestarter.... all things that extra cartridges can provide. As well, I can put two shots in 5" at 15 yards point-shooting in the time it takes to get off one with my Redhawk... something to be said for that too.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Great extra reasons there LAK! That is a huge plus for people debating revolver vs auto.

Default Thanks

All your info was great and if you have more input keep it coming!

I've enjoyed reading this thread - thanks for bringing it back to life LAK!

I have decided a Glock 20 will be my next firearm purchase for carrying in the woods. My decision will be 20 or 20C.

What are the pros and cons of a compensated model? I know about the C model being louder, maybe stuff hits you in the face and the flash can erase your night vision. But does the reduction in recoil offset those detractors? Can you get back on target faster with the C model?
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I would just get the non compensated one. Louder, brighter and stuff in your face are not good trade offs for maybe a millisecond of recovery time on target.

Plus when shooting this gun in a emergency situation you probably wont have eye or ear protection, not to mention it might be dark out. Given that situation you might actually find that getting on target is actually slower than if you would have gotten a non ported barrel.

Im sure the only people getting any advantage over the porting are competors at the shooting range properly equiped and adjusted to the flash.

Oh and there will be a muzzle velocity decrease with the porting thus robbing much needed energy.

Is the 20 the compact model? I forget. I used to own the compact 10mm glock. It was quite the handful and not comfortable to shoot. Adding the finger grip extension on the mag helped some.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast