Thread: Dulling the sounds of zippers:

Default Dulling the sounds of zippers:

I need some ideas on how to quiet zippers, either on a tent or back packs. I like to run a quiet camp and really donít like making all kinds of noise getting in and out of the tent.On days when itís dead calm, itís amazing how loud a zipper can be.

JIM

Lightbulb metal zippers

have you tried replacing the noisy metal zippers with paracord? it will cut down on the metalic metal on metal sound.

Default Just wait a while..

When you get to be my age, you won't hear the zippers, or anything else for that matter... HTH.. Les

Default slow and easy...

Try zipping slow... Much quieter that way... Never tried it but may you could try rubbing them with paraffin wax... Would be kind of a water proof lube...

Default Thanks for the input.

I like the wax idea. I was thinking about Vaseline, but I believe its oil based and would break down the fabric.I like the zippers, sealing in the heat, so Iím not sure if I want to replace them with cord.

Thank to all for the input.

JIM

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Have you ever been close enough to a moose to hear what they sound like when stripping willow branches? Sounds just like a zipper being pulled up or down.I sat about 5 yards away from a cow moose back in 1995 up on the Holitna River just listening to her strip willow branches.

Default Allen

Good insight! Thanks,

JIM

Default wax...

the paraffin wax idea is something I have experimented with quite a bit... never on zippers but on lots of other stuff...

Petro based stuff attracts way too much dirt and some of them are scented... (not a good idea)... It also rubs off or away....

I've used the wax to quit my plastic boots... It does not attract dirt, is waterproof and lasts a long time...

Bowstring was works well. It comes in a nice packable tube also.