Thread: 375 weatherby???

Default 375 weatherby???

i have a buddy who has been considering getting a new rifle made up on a remington 700 action. he was thinking either the 375 h&h or 375 RUM. i recomended the 375 Weatherby as possibly the best of both worlds. i don't have a lot of exeperience with the weatherby cartridge but know that you can shoot 375 H&H out of it and that it can be loaded up to near RUM velosities. still in the process of gathering info and would really appreciate any experience or advice you guys might have.

Thanks

tbear, I owned one of the 700 375 RUMS and found it to be an exceptional cartridge both in the field and on targets. I would not of course pay the exorbant price tags on factory fodder so I reload.

While I found the Remington to be very accurate and to me a pleasure to shoot it was lacking in some of the characteristics of "real" rifles made with steel. The darn bolt although on safety would open up with a round chambered-not a good thing. I cut my investment loose on this before it ended up being a money sink.

I again have to say there is nothing and I mean nothing wrong about the RUM cartridge except it is not a "meat" gun and initially my intentions for use was for Grizz only an occasional moose was taken with substantial meat damage-even at 370 yds.

When I sold it I too began a quest for another 375 caliber and thought of the 375 Weath. due to its capabilities to shoot HH fodder-a good thing I suppose. Even the lowly 375 Winchester with hard cast - in close of course.

I personally found the .375 RUM to be too much of a good thing and am now content with the 9,3x62 Mauser and am curiously looking foward to the possible investment of the .416 Ruger but I have a 9,3x64 Brenn hopefully close to being finished so what can I offer up anymore-it comes down to what exactly it is that this person "really" wants.

A large medium bore magnum-offers excellent field results.

regards,

some specific questions I had were...

can you use 375 H&H dies to neck size for the 375 weatherby or do you need to buy new dies? Another question was with the ammount of free bore normally associated with weatherby cartrdges is there a problem with shooting H&H ammo out of it, like extremely lowered veloseties of factory H&H ammo.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    some specific questions I had were...

can you use 375 H&H dies to neck size for the 375 weatherby or do you need to buy new dies? Another question was with the ammount of free bore normally associated with weatherby cartrdges is there a problem with shooting H&H ammo out of it, like extremely lowered veloseties of factory H&H ammo.

thanks
    You have to have the dies for the Weatherby .375. I did not know from your first post that you could fire form the H&H in that chamber. I do know a guy that has some new (NIB) factory Norma brass and no longer has a rifle in that chambering. I think he could be motavated to sell that rare brass. Ot trade for factory new .375H&H Norma brass.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default 375 Wby

I had a Sako Carbine rechambered from H & H to 375 Wby. It was Magnaported and would group 3 rounds touching @ 100 Yds with 78 Grains of 4064. It traveled at 2,660 over the Croney with that load, which was a couple of grains under max in that rifle. I fire formed H & H brass with 18 grains of Unique with a quater sheet of TP (Wad), corn meal filler and wax plug. It produced cases ready to load. You can fire form factory loads as well.

Default 375 weatherby

i have owned and shot the 375 mashburn 375 weatherby and 375 h&h when it is all settled i went and stayed with the H&H i shoot 84 grains of imr 4350 behind the 270 barnes bulletsnow if tou have trouble with the cases buldging what i did was took a seating die bored out a resize die where the seat goes through the top to the size of the neck and just resize the after they are reloaded it works good will tell you this push the 375 weatherby right to the firewall and it will really shoot guys there is something to heavy compresio and slow burning powders

Default 375 Weatherby

I have one built on a M70. With hot loads it pushed 2880 with 270 grain, and somewhere around 2700 with 300. Can't get the 270 grain to group very well, but the 300 partition is deadly accurate. The best thing I have found for brass (because Weatherby brass is spendy and fireforming H&H leaves the brass too short for my liking) is Hornady basic belted magnum brass. Just run it through the sizing die and trim.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

The .375 Weatherby is a fun toy. You can load it up or down to suit your fancy. It will easily shoot .375 H&H if desired. The factory 300 gr Nosler Partitions get just over 2800 fps in my 24" rifle and the recoil is right up there.

I usually shoot 260 gr NP or Accubond at about 2800 and yes some H&H will do that velocity as well.

It is a nice alternative.

Here is my 375Wby Mark V Custom and I shoot a 300gr TSX in front of 93rs of H4831sc, Weatherby brass and 250CCI primers and it is moving at 2820fps - here are the last two three shot groups I fired with it.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS