Thread: 300 Magnum but which One????

Default 300 Magnum but which One????

Please help me identify this cartridge......Is it a 300 Win Mag, 300 H&H, or 300 Weatherby???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bullet measurements 300 mag.jpg  

None of the above. It is a rimmed case.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

there is a book called "cartridges of the world" and they usually have a copy or two at Sportsman's. You may be able to identify it using that book.

Perhaps is you had a photo of it, it would be easyer to make a determination.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

It is by far closest to the 300 Win mag.

Some cartridge drawings will not show a belt at the bottom even for a belted case.

Mystery cartridge Length 2.604 ......................300 Win Mag = 2.620
    Base .528 .................................................. ........ .532
    shoulder length 2.192 ............................................... 2.196
    thickness at shoulder .486 ......................................... .489

Cartridge drawings: http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

The loaded cartridge is from Herters. The box just says 300 Magnum.....nothing else

Does that help?

Default Herters

Herters had its own line of proprietery cartridges and unless you own a Herters chambered 300 mag; You simply have a box of old Herters collector ammo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by ruger*1nut View Post
    The loaded cartridge is from Herters. The box just says 300 Magnum.....nothing else

Does that help?

Oh, you have a box of cartridges of this mysterious 300 Magnum.

Well, can you tell us this; Does it have a rim or a belt or is it rimless?

Is the dimension drawing your sketch or was that found somewhere?

If you drew the sketch, did you take those measurements form the loaded cartridge?

The dims are close, as RMiller points out, to the 300 Winny. Close enough to say if you measured the unfired case you would get those numbers. Also the belt/rim/rimless configuration would help a lot.

I think Herters did have a line of cartridges but I don't recall any specifics of them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Oh, you have a box of cartridges of this mysterious 300 Magnum.

Well, can you tell us this; Does it have a rim or a belt or is it rimless?

Is the dimension drawing your sketch or was that found somewhere?

If you drew the sketch, did you take those measurements form the loaded cartridge?

The dims are close, as RMiller points out, to the 300 Winny. Close enough to say if you measured the unfired case you would get those numbers. Also the belt/rim/rimless configuration would help a lot.

I think Herters did have a line of cartridges but I don't recall any specifics of them.

Herters did have a line of brass, supposedly made in Sweden, at lest that's what was printed on the boxes. I had no other source for brass that I needed for forming, I do remember having to use a Collete attachment on my lathe to turn rims as they were not SAMMI. That was one wildcat that took the throat out faster than any ctg I ever played with.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

There are two boxes of this ammo for sale on Gunbroker right now. Search 300 Mag and you will see the listing....the seller has no idea what caliber the cartridges are intended for...

The sketch came from measurements provided by the seller.

I am just trying to avoid buying ammo for a gun I don't own!!!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

well heck. In that case I think you would be best off to just bag it, and head on down to WallMart to buy ammo that you know will fit your rifle.................
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

A buck is still a buck.....

I appreciate everyone's feedback.....

I posted this question over at http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/529105639

The consensus is that it is a 300 Winchester mag and that the dimensions are within manufacturing tolerances.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".