Thread: .270WSM for moose

Default .270WSM for moose

I just purchased this rifle and I was wondering if anyone else has this rifle and what their recomendations are for moose ammo.

Default Ammo

Whatever ammo you use, make sure it's tipped with Barnes TSX...It'll do the job on a moose, of course shot placement is key...

Default 270 moose

I have a 270 wizum and have not tried it on moose but have used 270 win a few times. My choice for bullets was the old 160 gr Nosler Partition......a heavy TSX should work also.

I got a Tikka 270 WSM, Mine shoots 150 grain Federal NP's really well, should do the trick for moose, bullet placement key of course..

Default tsx

I would get the heaviest Barnes TSX that you can.

Factory loads with Barnes TSX is extremely limited. There are only a couple ammo manufacturers that use the TSX bullet and they are only available in 130 grain. It would do the job, but hopefully they come out with some heavier bullets.

There is nothing in NA that won't succomb to a 150 grain Swift A Frame form the WSM at about 3000 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    There is nothing in NA that won't succomb to a 150 grain Swift A Frame form the WSM at about 3000 FPS.
    Not sure I'd want to shoot a Kenai Peninsula or Kodiak brownie with a .270 and 150 grainer, but maybe I'm just getting timid as I age...

Me Either...Thats why I have my 375 H&H...but in a pinch, it would work, plus that 150 grain A - Frame will penetrate from Boise to Anchorage.

Agree with you on the A-Frame, I prefer the 225 grains coming out of my .338... But, agree that a .375 would be even better.

I'd be happy with a 130-grain Barnes TSX for that cartridge.

Default My two cents

I bought a weatherby ss 270 wsm about three years ago. A friend of mine recommended the barnes triple shook in the federal premiums. It took a while for me to finally realize it wasn’t operator malfunction that made it impossible to shoot straight, but that my gun won’t shoot them accurately. I switched to Winchester Supremes in the silver tips and never looked back. They give me that perfect accuracy I was wanting and the silver tips have consistently taken black bears and deer. The gun now consistently shoots groups of three in a one inch pattern at a hundred yards.
    My savage 30’06 does just fine with them.

Default Call me old fashioned, but -

Will a 270 WSM kill a moose - of course, given a good presentation and excellent bullet placement, two things that in a real life hunting situation often as not do not happen at the same time. Use as heavy a bullet that you and the rifle can shoot accurately and criticality choose the shot (s) you take.....but, there are far wiser choices, starting with a good 180 gr bullet from the venerable '06.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Will a 270 WSM kill a moose - of course, given a good presentation and excellent bullet placement, two things that in a real life hunting situation often as not do not happen at the same time. Use as heavy a bullet that you and the rifle can shoot accurately and criticality choose the shot (s) you take.....but, there are far wiser choices, starting with a good 180 gr bullet from the venerable '06.
    I would tend to disagree with your choice of wording re. excellent bullet placement. I would say proper bullet placement. Even a .338WM can (and does) send wounded animals off into the thick stuff when poorly handled. IMHO, no shot is worth taking if there is even the slightest chance of it resulting in a wounded animal getting away from you. So, for me anyway, no front on shots, no extreme quartering, no rear end shots. I can wait, and if it means i miss the opportunity, well, so be it, the beer still tastes just as good around the fire, where this type of conversation really belongs

Default 270 is not enough!

I shot a cow moose with a 270 in 1998. The shots were all in the heart lung area except the last was behind the ear just to put her out of pain. 2 of the rounds actually hit the heart and she still suffered. I never used a 270 since then. There are those that will say shot placement is all you need but I disagree, you also need a big enough round with that shot placement. After watching that cow suffer the only thing I use that 270 for was Dall Sheep and Whitetail Deer in the lower 48.

rrick38,
    I have to say that is BS... I find it hard to believe you shot any animal in the heart and it suffered, with a .270... Heck Jack O'connor shot pretty much everything in North America with a .270... Sorry not buying this story....