Thread: Caribou on Kodiak

Default Caribou on Kodiak

Are there actually caribou on kodiak? The regs are for no limit, no closed season. Because If there wasnt many caribou there, than the regs would be much stricter, wouldnt they? Any advise is appreciated.
    Last edited by ak char; 09-24-2008 at 22:21. Reason: spelling

The state wants the bou on Kodiak and Adak eliminated which is why there are no bag limits.

Default Adak Caribou

Can be pretty expensive to get out that way also.....

Default Not sure about kodiak

But I think, it's the USF&W that want the bou off Adak. Thats what I got from the Bio at the home office, that I worked with. It's part of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, I do believe.
    http://alaskamaritime.fws.gov/visito...nting/adak.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Are there actually caribou on kodiak? The regs are for no limit, no closed season. Because If there wasnt many caribou there, than the regs would be much stricter, wouldnt they? Any advise is appreciated.
    They are introduced reindeer and hang out on the southwest part of the island. There are a couple of access points that will put you in the reindeer country. Ask your air taxi operator and they will be able to let you know where they have taken successful reindeer hunters. Most of the spots are shallow tundra lakes that start to freeze in early November.

I saw one in Kodiak Taxidermy in 2006 that Eric was mounting. It scored over 400. He said it came from the island. We saw one during our deer hunt along Notellum River.

tHEY ARE INDEED RIENDEER, THOUGH THEY HAVE BEEN THERE A long TIME, AND HAVE DEVELOPED,(AT LEAST THE BULLS), SOME DANDY ANTLERS. Oops, sorry for the cap lock.
    Anyway, you can find them mainly in the Ayakulik flats area, on the north-west side of the island. I don't know about the South end. seems like a stretch. I lived there for a while in the 80's and commercial fished in the Karluk river, Red river, Halibut bay area, and we would see them once in a while from the coast, but during a fishing closure, would venture inland across the bogs, and find them.
    Belive me, this is BOGGY with a capital B!
    There is a reason for the no limit, and it has been that way for years and years, yet they are still there. A bull from this area is a real accomplishment, worthy of a true sportsman. I hope you are sincere, and go for it. You will have a heck of a hunt.

Default nice boos

I flew in to Grants lagoon in 95 and three of us took out seven Raindeer and a blacktail deer. It was a great hunt and I would recomend it to anyone.

Hunted Grant lagoon in 06 and saw a fairly large herd of caribou. We didn't go after them, but they are there.

While Adak does indeed have an introduced herd, there are bag limits of a sort. Although its basically unlimited, no more than 2 can be bulls and no bulls between 1 Jan and 9 Aug.

does anybody know if you can get in to an area with a wheel plane to hunt the caribou on Kodiak?