Thread: Sheep Advise 14C

Default Sheep Advise 14C

Looking for some help. My partner and I have archery sheep tags for 14C. We have made arrangements to be transported in on horses. When I talked to the transporter he said he is at a loss where to take us in. Said the early sheep hunters that he worked with didn't do very well.

Any ideas where to find sheep in the late season?I assume the sheep must start moving around with the snow in the high country. We are supposed to go in on Tuesday the 30th. Does anyone know who the game biologist is for the area and have his contact information?

Thanks in advance.

Default Biologist

Rick Sinnot is the biologist for the area. He was very helpful when I contacted him by e-mail last year. His e-mail address is rick.sinnott@alaska.gov
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Horses are a great tool. They will allow you to take a nice and warm camp so that you will be able to hunt the whole season without freezing to death. However they are not allowed in all areas of the park, so by using horses you have just a few really good options, any of which will produce sheep.

Sheep do move a lot more than some folks think, especially this time of year. Just because some hunters didn't have much success in the early season doesn't mean the sheep won't be there in the late season.

Pick an area that is bow friendly and go and have some fun,
    JB

Here's some advice: Don't go where I'm going.

Really, the sheep in 14C are spread all over the place. I've seen them in every valley in the hunt area, and on nearly every mountain that I've climbed. Sometimes they're not there one day, and then the next morning the mountain will be crawling with them. Furthermore, with the archery sheep tag you're allowed to shoot any sheep. While I'm sure you're dreaming about a large ram, you can take a 3/4 curl ram or even a ewe. If those options interest you, that opens up a lot of opportunities that sheep hunters earlier in the season didn't have.

As for me, I'm hiking into an area where I have a few options. I'll hike/climb in one direction from base camp on the first day, and if that doesn't pan out I've got another productive area accessible from base camp in the other direction. Look at a map and try to find an area with such options. Good luck to you, and pray for some clear weather!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. We will have a good hunt no matter the results. Hopefully the weather will stay decent for a while. I am really looking forward to the opportunity to hunt sheep with my bow. I have killed bears and caribou with the bow and have a great time just being in the outdoors. I will let everyone know how our hunt goes regardless of the end results.

Thanks agian and best of luck Brian.

Default Sheep

There is only one choice that I can think of. Going up Bird Creek. I flew Hunter Creek a few weeks ago and there is nada. I have taken 3 sheep up Bird and Ship in the past and I am quite sure that is your best bet. Please contact me if you would like to know more. I am in the book in Anchorage. Just call in the morning or afternoon; I go to sleep early in the evening. Keith Douglas