Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss vs. Leupold scopes

Default Zeiss vs. Leupold scopes

Leupold VX-II 3-9 x 40

vs.

Zeiss 3.5-10 x 44

Wondering which is lighter clearer and overall a better glass for Browning A-bolt .338

i take ziess over leupold 11 times out of 10

If you want lighter and a sleeker profile the Leupy wins. If you want brighter glass as a compromise to a heavier and bulkier scope, go with the Zeiss.

mods please delete the above named account...thx...

otherwise I was looking(researching scopes and have found...
    the Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III that weighs in at 13 oz compared to the zeiss at 15.8 oz

I'm thinking the B&C reticle with it for a whopping 560$

I like the Zeiss it does weigh a bit more but it also has constant eye relief regardless of magnification which is a blessing shooting long distance prone on a makeshift rest. The light gathering is amazing and I have been able to see clearly well beyond "last light".

I say pick up a 3-9x40 Conquest from Cameraland for $389 (demo) and be done with it. The Conquest is a superior scope to the VX-II. Yes it weighs a few oz. more, but I'm sure there are plenty of areas in your gear that you can cut a few oz. to make up for it. The cost to benefit aspect of the 3.5-10x44 on a .338 vs. the 3-9x40 is something to look at. Of course that is something for you to decide. Either way, buy Zeiss.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    otherwise I was looking(researching scopes and have found...
    the Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III that weighs in at 13 oz compared to the zeiss at 15.8 oz

I'm thinking the B&C reticle with it for a whopping 560$

I bought the 3.5-10x40 VXIII with the B&C reticle and have found it to be a great disapointment. The scope is excellent but the reticle is over the top for "gadgety". In the field its simply too much to keep floating around in my head and I find the reticle too visually complex. I much prefer a plex or post type reticle.

A plain 3.5-10x40 is a great scope.

I've never had a Zeiss but have heard a lot of good stuff. I'll likely give their new 4x32 fixed power a try soon.

I believe there is no question that the Conquest is a superior scope than the Luepie VX-II. However, when you move up to a VX-III I think the playing field is leveled. My take is:

I think the Conquest is a little brighter, but the VX-III is plenty bright enough.

The constant eye relief of the Conquest is not a real world advantage to me, especially since this helps produce a much less tolerant eyebox that is more critical of your eye placemant than that of the VX-III.

The Leupold VX-III has the best reputation for ruggedness and reliability of any scope on the market. While the Conquest may be good it has not been around long enough yet to establish the same reputation. Last week a friend of mine called Zeiss and said his Conquest was producing a strange image. The lady on the phone immediately asked if he could see debris in the scope and upon closer inspection he could. Apparently this is a new problem that many Conquests are experiencing.

My take is Leupie all the way.

Brent

Default Cabelas customer ratings...

are the same, 4.8 out of 5 for Leup VX-II, VX-III and Zeiss Conquest, for what it's worth - with approx 70 to 140 customers responding to each.
    I didn't find a riflescope review elsewhere that compared these scopes.

Default conquest vs other scopes

the 3x9leu. compared to the conquest if you move up to the vari x three or what ever they call it i would go withe the leuie i have a lot off ziess scopes and the one thing thay they all have in common is short eye relief which is very important in brush or heavy kicking guns i would suggest that you take a hard look at the 2.5x8 leupold

Default Various scopes

I've recently been comparing a number of scopes to see if I could really tell any significant difference in brightness and contrast at low light conditions.

Test is unscientific but I'm looking at the shingles on the roofs of various houses around us in late afternoon twilight conditions. I try to pick out the edges of the shingles and vents on the roof. The recent snows will mess my testing up until spring unless we get melting.

Scopes I've compared include a Zeiss Diatal 6x42 w/ T* coating, and older and similar Carl Zeiss Diatal 6 x 42, a Kahles 2 - 7 x 32, a Schmitt & Bender 6 x 42, a Hensoldt 1.5 -6x 32, and a variety of Leupold Vari-X IIs and IIIs, Pentax, and Burris scopes. For the variables I tried them at 6X power just to keep all the magnifications the same.

After looking through all of the scopes over a period of time the only one that really looked noticeably different was a Leupold 2 - 7 Vari-X II - it just didn't pick up details at low light conditions. Out of all the others I really couldn't see a great deal of difference - certainly not enough to justy the vast differences in prices.

I will add that I am 61 and wear glasses. To younger eyes better eyes perhaps some differences may be apparent. I can tell the difference between cheap scopes and good ones but for these all decent scopes I just didn't see it in the optical view.

Of course mechanical construction, weight, etc. are not included in the comparison - these factors are clearly important also.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Leupold vs Zeiss

I have both scopes and if brightness and fine clarity is the final decider then it is the Zeiss, hands down...

The leupolds are on 3 of my guns and they have never given me a days trouble. They always hold their zero and adjustments are simple and consistent. These are on my 30-06, 30-30 (wifes gun), daughters 30-06, fairly inexpensive OK on clarity, edges are not as clear at a distance..

The zeiss is on my predator gun and it makes a big difference in low light conditions very, very clear even around the edges at longer distances..

My 2 cents worth

well i'm hoping for any of them for Christmas so... I'm still viewing my options ... I heard Burris was good also...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster, a couple Leoupold VX-IIs, and a Burris Fullfield II on my rifles. My dad has a Zeiss Conquest on his Tikka .308 and it is clearer and brighter than all my scopes. That being said I honestly can't justify the extra $$$. I look through my scopes in the field for AT MOST 5 minutes per hunting season. I'd rather take the cash and spend it towards other optics such as a better set of binos or spotter as the total time I spend looking through binos during a hunting season is better measured in days instead of minutes like my rifle scope.

My rifle scopes must be waterproof, tough enough to take a beating, and a decent reputation and customer service. All the rest is relative. If its too dark to shoot with my VX-IIs then so be it. Also the best scope in the world ain't worth a thing if you have a crappy set of rings to match.

For Leupolds, you might want to check at Cabelas--they have a $75 off sale on VXIII's right now, with free shipping (a VXIII 2.5-8X36 for $325 or so, for example). I agree with a couple of the other replies you have received--I feel that the ranging reticles are more likely to cause errors in the field because of the complexities of ballistics and range estimation. If you shoot a lot, and practice using the ranging reticle at lots of different distances until you are very familiar, the ranging reticle can be an advantage.

I have compared the Vari-X III scopes side by side with the Zeiss Conquests 3 or 4 times in different stores, and the Leupolds always come out on top. Leupold's customer service is phenomenal. I haven't owned a Zeiss rifle scope, but their binoculars are great!

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I have to say one more thing: I have been around a couple of Swarovski A (American) series scopes that I like better than any of the Leupolds or Conquests. They are more expensive, too, by a significant amount. Definitely brighter, and better detail resolution.

Go to the stores, look through as many different scopes as you can, always comparing them at the same magnification levels. Looking through the very best ones will help train your eyes to look for the qualities that are desirable.

Good Shooting!

Having owned Zeiss and Leupold , the issue is about fit as opposed to glass. The Zeiss Conquest scopes have a huge ocular and if you like scopes mounted low this something you have to be aware of. With soem rifle designs the scope has to be mounted higher or teh bolt will be too close to the scope. I had a Conquest on a Ruger of mine an deven with Rugers generously high ring mounts I would hit the scope with my knuckles working the action. I like Zeiss glass but I like the fit of Leupies much better. They are lower profile, lighter and they just plain work! Plus we dont live in whitetail country, where most shots are made at the last or first usable second of daylight, IME.

Default 30% off on already low scope prices

If you go through MS live search to find them you can get 30% or $200 off on scopes purchased through EBay buy it now and PayPal. I posted instructions in the shooting forum.

With a 10% off coupon Ebay sent me I just picked up a new Zeiss Conquest 4.5 x 14 AO for a final cost of $440. It may take me a month or so to get the $200 but for that price I can wait a bit.

It's worth checking out!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Having owned Zeiss and Leupold , the issue is about fit as opposed to glass. The Zeiss Conquest scopes have a huge ocular and if you like scopes mounted low this something you have to be aware of. With soem rifle designs the scope has to be mounted higher or teh bolt will be too close to the scope. I had a Conquest on a Ruger of mine an deven with Rugers generously high ring mounts I would hit the scope with my knuckles working the action. I like Zeiss glass but I like the fit of Leupies much better. They are lower profile, lighter and they just plain work! Plus we dont live in whitetail country, where most shots are made at the last or first usable second of daylight, IME.
    You know if you picked up a Weatherby Mark V or a Browning A-Bolt with their sweet 60* bolt throw you would never have that problem again.

Default Controlled Feed?

Anyone make a 60 deg bolt throw with controlled feed? Look like that combination would be the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You know if you picked up a Weatherby Mark V or a Browning A-Bolt with their sweet 60* bolt throw you would never have that problem again.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Have owned both and sold both, not a big Weatherby (Rifle) fan, and the A-Bolt didn't do anythng for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast