Thread: Best way to move firearms, ammo & reloading supplies to Anchorage

Default Best way to move firearms, ammo & reloading supplies to Anchorage

I will be moving up to the anchorage area in the late spring. I am an avid outdoorsman and collector. I need to figure the best way to get my firearms up there. I am living in Kansas now and will be driving through canada. I would just as soon ship everything (but how and with who) rather than deal with canadian customs. I have 40+ long guns and 30+ handguns, along with 25k+ rounds of various ammunition not to mention reloading supplies (projectiles primers brass powder). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Bringing the handguns and some long guns through Canada, military type autoloaders is a no no. And if you vast quantities of ammo that would certainly raise and eye.

I'd ship the guns the loaded ammo through an established shipper and take the primers and powders with you so as not to deal with hazmat issues.

I have heard of someone using a lowball shipper that ran there truck through canada w/ their guns and there being a hangup when the canucks found the guns in the shipment.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm sure the military folks will be able to chime in with how they moved their stuff up.

Default AK Marine Hiway

I'd seriously consider getting on the ferry in WA. Of course, you would need to take it all the way to Valdez/Whittier/Seward (schedule permitting) to avoid Canada, then drive the rest of the way. Shipping your firearms will be expensive enough, but I'd think you'll have some difficulty shipping ammo. I don't know about private persons that have tried it. I still have some firearms in MT and am faced with a similar problem. Still waiting until I establish the best solution.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Valdez/Whittier/Seward
    Which one of those ports would be best to get off at? Cheapest as far as ferry rates?

http://www.alaskaferry.com/

Valdez would technically be the closest port but Whittier isn't too far away and is also a much shorter drive to Anchorage.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Its been about 18 months since I moved back up here. The military shipper shipped my guns, I had to dump a lot of ammo because I didnt want the ferry folks getting worried. I had about 200lbs of ammo with me. I think if you have to take the ferry you have to declare your weapons/ammo before you get on the ferry. They didnt have a problem with the ammo when I told them.

here is the alaska marine web site

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Hope this helps

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    http://www.alaskaferry.com/

Valdez would technically be the closest port but Whittier isn't too far away and is also a much shorter drive to Anchorage.

I went all the way to Whittier. I stayed a night in Juneau, so if you go that route, reserve a room!!! I was lucky enough to get one, but most were booked when I went looking...

If you're going to use a Moving Company, do some serious checking before you sign up. Last time I moved (many years ago), the company the military contracted with would not take ammo or any of my reloading supplies. Make sure the shipment goes by boat from the Left Coast and bypasses Canada - I've heard of guns being confiscated when a Moving Van drove through Canada. Taking as much as you can with you and taking a boat directly to AK is good advice.

Mike

You can bring auto loaders and pistols thru Canada now you just have to get prior approval from the Canadians before you enter Canada ie don't show up at customs and try to delcare your AR-15 and Glock 19. When I came thru custom I told them I had a firearm. I was told to park the vehicle and go into the building to fill out the neccessary paperwork. I had to have serial number thank the lord we wrote all this down prior to arrving to Canada. Went inside said i had a weapon to declare they were pretty helpful bunch pretty easy transaction paid the 50 dollars and off we went. They wanted to know a couple of things how long would I be in Canada my reply however long it takes to get to Alaska they said abotu 5 days. The next question was is the gun locked up and unloaded. They never asked to inspect my vehicle.. But I have heard they are that way sometimes no questions asked get the necessary paperwork filled out and sometimes they will be out there and have the whole vehicle unloaded inspecting it. The best thing to do is either call or e-mail the Canadian custom officials...

This is what member from another forum found out as well.. I remember paying 50 dollars anyhow this is what he had to say..

I just called Canadian Customs at the border up from Haines ,,..
    The border agent told me I could fill out the form at the border and the fee was 25 $ total for all my rifles ..
    I also asked him about smokeless powder , ammo and primers and he said , smokeless powder was fine . in 1 lb containers , hollow points were fine , but no AP . and I can bring up to 5,000 primers

Might as well go to the firearms Canada website and see what their gov't says;

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/traffick_trafic/index_e.asp

catch the ferry in Seattle load every thing in your truck or trailer. or a shipping company by sea out of Seattle.