Thread: spotting scopes

Default spotting scopes

I am in the market for a spotting scope. I have a desired brand that I will keep private, my question is what is a good magnification power for up here? I will primarily be using it to hunt sheep.

My choice would be a variable 15-45 power with a 45 degree angle ocular piece. However, I'm using a 20-60 power because Kowa does not sell the 15-45.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    I am in the market for a spotting scope. I have a desired brand that I will keep private, my question is what is a good magnification power for up here? I will primarily be using it to hunt sheep.

Default Spotting Scope

I have an Alaskan Guide Series from Cabela's, it is good but not what the top end scopes are... It is fine for deer, caribou, moose, bear, but I wasn't impressed on my sheep hunt. It is a 20-60 power by 70mm a bit heavy too...

Zeiss Victory Diascope in 15 to 45 with the 65 millimeter lens is an excelent choice for a scope. Your pick straight or angled.

In my opinion get the largest power you can afford and are willing to pack! There is an article somewhere though that states after a certain power vs objective ratio extra power is worthless. Anyone got that link?

I posed the same question awhile back. I went with a 20x60x60. A little bulky but not bad. It did what I wanted it to. Which was hiking up a mountain after a sub-legal sheep. Didn't have any issues with heat distoration at 60 power that some have mentioned in the past but it was also wasn't that warm when I was out the 2nd week of Sept.

I would go with a 23-66X, More is better!