Thread: per pound for shipping

Default per pound for shipping

What is the going rate for shipping from anc to anywhere usa? I am being charged about $3 per pound.
    How much would you be willing to spend to get 500 lbs of game meat to the lower 48?

500 lbs of meat? Do you need that much meat, that's an awful lot of meat to ship and I wouldn't want to have to pay that bill. Did you try Alaska Airlines to see if you could get it on one of their flights? I did that in '97 and it was fairly economical.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    What is the going rate for shipping from anc to anywhere usa? I am being charged about $3 per pound.
    How much would you be willing to spend to get 500 lbs of game meat to the lower 48?
    $3.00 sound about right. I shipped 250 pounds of fillets to my brother in Omaha this summer. Call ACE Logistics at 334-5151. They use Fed ex for next day delivery. I have used them 2 years in a row. They even have a freezer to store your stuff until you want it shipped. I took my fish out there Monday and kept in freezer until shipped on Wed and didn't charge me any extra.

Also, if you don't want to ship that much home, I could always take a few pounds of your hands

I shipped 160 pounds as cargo from Fairbanks to Portland OR for $240 in early Sept. with Alaska Airlines.

If you are flying with the meat you can freeze the meat. Put it in fish boxes and 50 pounds of meat will cost you $50.00. My dad and brother just took home 250 pounds of meat each on the plane with them. One other trick we did was we split the skulls on the bou and he took the bou antlers on the plane with him in a bike box for $75.00. Not sure if you are flying with the meat or not. 50 pounds of meat is about all a fishbox will hold and the fish box meets the luggage restrictions.

Default flying meat

I just did the same with flying alaska airlines. I only had a small take down gun case for my TC Encore which I managed to fit in my backpack on the way home so I only had one checked bag which is free. then I had a large duffel bag which fit my split antlers and I would guess 90 lbs (it was 99lbs total) of meat in plastic bags which alaska airlines froze for me, it was $25 for my 2nd bag and $50 for the overweight charge but they flew it from alaska to Detroit, and it was still partly frozen when I got home, I also had about 25lbs of frozen meat in my carry on. So I had $75 into shipping my meat and antlers back to michigan.

Question are you saying

wjkuhne that the airlines let you get on the plane with a gun in your backpack?

QUOTE : "I only had a small take down gun case for my TC Encore which I managed to fit in my backpack on the way home so I only had one checked bag which is free. "

Default gun in backpack

The backpack was checked baggage and they do allow you to put a guncase (airline approved, lockable) inside of another bag. they told me to leave the declaration out of the case and just next to it inside the backpack. We left Detroit on american airlines and flew back on Alaska Airlines and neither had an issue with it.

Glad to see that an out of state hunter is actually taking his meat home for once, if you have the guts to shoot it then take it home and eat it, props to you. Too many hunters out there only care about the antlers and pictures.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Donate meat

If you are thinking that $1500 is too much to bring the meat home and you only want to bring home 1/3 of that, there are a lot of shelters in the Anchorage area that will take the other meat off your hands. In some cases you can even get it done all the way up in Fairbanks for free.
    I personally love game meat but also understand to each their own. I draw the line with waist!

After moving up here it is hard to see anything go to waist. Even the road kill moose gets picked up and used for meat. Not to mention the wild critters that scavenge everything they can as well.
    It just really pisses me off when I hear about people dumping the meat in dumpsters.
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Default shipping

I just shipped from Denver to Anchorage on Alaska Air Cargo and was only charged .57 a pound. If your paying $3 your getting hosed.

Default Meat

Antlers and all that are nice But if I am hunting and Kill a moose or Whatever I can Gaurantee That I will be transporting most the meat back home with me.I don't kill what I dont want to eat.That goes for fish also.

Default Nikster, i sent you a pm

nikster, i sent you a pm