Thread: 375 Ruger Alaskan info needed

Talking 375 Ruger Alaskan info needed

I am trying to work up a load using the 250 grain Sierra Gameking with 77 gr. of RL15 and cannot find any info about overall length. The standard 3.340 seems too long..any advise would be appreciated.

Also looking for a good load for the Barns TSX in 235 grain.
    Thanks

old yeller, reloading for me is a tailor made or roll your own affair. I take a bullet, drop into the chamber and come up behind it with a dowel and the bolt up against that-full bullet to rifling contact without force perse'. Measure that and record, take bullet out and then close bolt and again run your rod down and measure to bolt face. Take those 2 readings and subtract-whaaaalaaa! You now have the OAL. The COL is the bullet from riflings minus a couple of thousandths etc that still fits the mag well and load for accuracies.

Some chambers can be looooong throated but that is not so bad when shooting heavy and long bullets or the Barnes. The procedure for finding COL is a common practice I make per rifle irregardless if mine or anyone elses. You obviously have noted that no 2 bullet manufacturers make a bullet with the same ogive so............measure.

Certainly this has or will help.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by old yeller View Post
    I am trying to work up a load using the 250 grain Sierra Gameking with 77 gr. of RL15 and cannot find any info about overall length. The standard 3.340 seems too long..any advise would be appreciated.

Also looking for a good load for the Barns TSX in 235 grain.
    Thanks
    Does the 3.340" fit your magazine? Does it feed or hang up? Can you chamber a round and extract the round, without pulling the bullet on extraction?

If the answer is no to all these questions, then that OAL will work for you. All factory chamber rifles will meet the SAAMI specifications. The question then aeries as to why you would want to seat bullets out to the maximum length in a hunting rifle?

Forget all the possible gains in accuracy from hitting the lands or being .010", .020" off the lands if the rounds won't feed through the magazine. You are not hunting off of a rest, you can load any round single shot and not worry about feeding from a magazine. ARE YOU GOING TO HUNT THIS WAY?

Some people load the first round with a round that is made for maximum accuracy and follow with ammo that is made to work best through the magazine. Seems to me like one more headache to deal with.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al has a point that I did not mention but assumed you knew. Are you seating your bullets too long that they don't fit in the mag box? If this is the case then you will have to either rework you mag or adjust powder charge/change powder/various primers or even bullets to get the results you expect.

Some people load for accuracies due to the fact a fine shot maybe just called for in some instances.....I like that.

Let us know what is up, many fine folks here that can help....they should have been here mmmmmmmmh by now. Probably taking care of there hunting gear, caring for meat or just plugging in there extra freezers.

best regards,

Default OAL of bullets

Thanks for the comments..as you could tell, I am new at this reloading game. I have not had any problams using the 3.340 length, it just looks goofy with the Sierra bullet out that far. I just assumed I had to follow a strict "receipe", since I am a novice. I will try grizz106's measuring advice..that makes sense. Since these are strictly hunting loads ( not bench rest) , is it safe to assume its better to error on the side of being a little short on OAL, thus eliminating the possibility of jamming, then to try to get it perfectly a certain length?

Quote Originally Posted by old yeller View Post
    Thanks for the comments..as you could tell, I am new at this reloading game. I have not had any problams using the 3.340 length, it just looks goofy with the Sierra bullet out that far. I just assumed I had to follow a strict "receipe", since I am a novice. I will try grizz106's measuring advice..that makes sense. Since these are strictly hunting loads ( not bench rest) , is it safe to assume its better to error on the side of being a little short on OAL, thus eliminating the possibility of jamming, then to try to get it perfectly a certain length?

There is no reason that you cannot seat to an exact length, you should not change too much from the recipe length in the loading manuals unless starting again at minimum loads. Almost always when people asked what length should it be I find they do not have a reloading manual for the bullets they shoot. In your case you should have a Sierra manual as you are using Sierra bullets. Considerations for hunting rounds should be for them to fit the magazine and function flawlessly in your rifle. I don't give a rats wrinkled arse about how close or how far a bullet is from the lands in my rifle for a hunting load if it doesn't fit and function. Nothing wrong with experimenting with different length even to single feed, just to get to know your rifle. I do it. I always do it, but when push comes to shove I want the utmost in reliability of fit, feed and function for any big game hunting caliber.

Do understand that cartridge overall length is just that length. The contact point on the bullet for the seating stem of the die and for the lands of the rifle will be somewhere down the nose on the ogive of the bullet. There are devices available, an attachment to the jaws of your caliper, that will give this measurement more precisely when used with the cartridge seating depth gage for your particular caliber. Using the caliper to measure length will always vary a few thousandths of an inch because in minor variations of nose shape. Never-the-less it is more than adequate for use as a gage in setting up loading dies and getting the ammo to fit the magazine and feed through the rifle. Some calibers in some rifles simply must be seated to the SAAMI cartridge length to feed in the rifle. That's just the way it is.

One rule of thumb in handloading ammo; don't sweat the small stuff until you have mastered the big stuff.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Old Yeller,

I went nuts trying several seating depths and charges for my .375 Ruger a few months ago. I found that settings from .015 to .050 didn't make as much of a difference in my rifle as getting the 260gr Accubonds to exit the barrle around 2800fps. My 300gr loads were best around 2600fps. When those velocities were hit the rifle laid down nice groups regardless of seating depths.

I settled on COL 3.340 with 260gr Accubonds @ 2850fps and .050 off the lands with 300gr Partitions @ 2625fps. Those combinations shot under an inch in the 260's and right at an inch in the 300's.

I recently bought a box of 300gr BT Game Kings that I'm going to work on to see if the boat tail design will shoot better than the Partitions did in 300gr.

As much as I like this rifle I've come to realize it won't be competition winner. However, I hunted in September and the rifle survived 6 days of non stop rain that soaked me and all my gear. The rifle came home with zero problems.
    Last edited by marshall; 10-15-2008 at 09:35. Reason: typo