Thread: Delta Clearwater Sep 2oth

Default Delta Clearwater Sep 2oth

I had asked the master salmon slayer if my Dad and I could tag along on a trip to Delta Clearwater for some silver action. I had taken my Dad to Julius Creek twice and my Dad just could not land a salmon. My dad had hooked over 20 fish on Julius but never landed one. I was hoping the Jedi powers of Dennis would help my Dad and I out with the task of my Dad landing his first salmon ever.

Dennis and his friend Chris met up with us on saturday morning and off we went to Delta for a day of silver fishing. We had to stop by the Salcha store and grab my Dad a one day fishing license because his 14 day license had expired the day prior. With a tank of gas and a license we were off.

The day started to clear up nice and the sun welcomed us as we put on our waders at the campground on the Delta Clearwater bank.

Wading was the order of the day and Dennis lead the way upstream to where he believed the fish to be holding. The short walked warmed us all quickly and when we arrived at "The Spot" we quickly shed some clothing and rigged up our flylines with purple egg-sucking leaches and my Dad used a small orange spinner on a break-down rod that I usually take on fly-in hunts.

Chris was the first to see bright red salmon holding in a pool. Chris worked the hole for a few minutes to no avail. My Dad was the first to connect with a bright red coho. The pole he used only had 6 pound test and after a five minute test of wills my Dad had landed his first salmon.

Shortly after my dad caught the first salmon of the day Chris and Dennis began catching one coho after another for the next few hours, with an occasional grayling mixed in the bunch.

After my Dad had caught a couple Cohos and my floating flyline was kicking my butt, the freezing water of Delta Clearwater took it's toll and my dad and I parted our ways with our new friends Dennis and Chris.

Dennis and Chris continued catching Cohos and grayling while my dad and I drove back to Midway for a Buffalo burger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The picture above has Dennis in the background posing with a nice coho.

I have to thank Dennis and Chris for the great day of fishing that my dad and I will never forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice!

AFHunter, glad to see you dad had a good time with us. I wish I would have noticed that your leach was a little darker then the ones we were using, I'm sure both you would have caught alot more fish. After you guys left us, they were still hammering our lines for another couple hours. I discovered a pinhole in my waders, which is probably why I was so cold! Might be heading down there again on Saturday if your interested.

Fish On!

Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Our Honor!

It was an honor to go fishing with both you and your Dad. Will see you again soon. Fish ON!!

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Man TSS and MasterGrowden you guys are popular to fish with! I know we Sappers enjoyed a day on Quartz with you guys. Good times. I took my Dad to the Rabidoux during the coho run last year and he had no luck while I landed several...maybe next time when he comes back up you can let us piggy back with ya. I'll be up there on a break from flight school in December...you fellas up for some ice fishing?

Sapper in the Skies

Default Absolutely

Gotta relieve the fishing fever some how over the winter. Definently gotta go hit Quartz, but also try Harding for those elusive lunkers I always hear about. Let us know when you get to town and we'll hook up again.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Went there Thursday and only caught one Grayling and one Silver. We were wadding at the State Park area where the river splits.

We saw alot of Grayling, but had no luck catching them. Anybody know what they are hitting on, we tried several dry flies (mosquitos, griffith knats, etc.) and some wets (copper johns), but no luck. The one guy we were with caught one with a #6 Green/Black spot Panther Martin. We threw Mepps, Panther Martins, and Vibrax and no luck.

The four hours we were out there, we only saw 2-3 Silvers? Is the run still coming or a bad year? Do we need a boat to find the better holes?

I ran into a bunch of grayling while on a hunting trip and catch most of my bigger ones on muddler minnows. Yes it seems like a large fly for a grayling but they were taking it. I also caught some grayling two years ago up the haul road in early Sept on #4 Vibrax. This time of year I think the fish want something with some meat on it.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".