Thread: Sitka blacktail strategy

Default Sitka blacktail strategy

I am wanting to go to PWS deer hunting and I am lookoing for ways to call deer. Can you rattle deer in, and if so how? I have never hunted deer so dont really know any methods. Can someone enlighten me other than floating around an island waiting to shoot a deer from the boat?

Yes rattling can work, but the most effective way to call in Sitka BLKTLS are to fawn bleat during the rut. Bucks cannot resist this method although sometimes the do give the cold shoulder. Some will run in others will sneak so set up with something behind you to prevent your outline being seen, get downwind of where you suspect them to arrive, be still and above all be patient. I called in at least 30 deer last year and had hunters kill 4 B&C bucks last year calling during the peak of the rut. They make lots of calls but honestly the ones made with the rubberbands or stretched tape inside are the best. I've even used blueberry leaves with success. Goodluck

Default Interesting...

When is the rut on, seen tons of deer sign in PWS, but never have actually seen a deer. Planning on hitting PWS in October and Early Nov, weather permitting of course.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    When is the rut on, seen tons of deer sign in PWS, but never have actually seen a deer. Planning on hitting PWS in October and Early Nov, weather permitting of course.
    I am under the understanding that it hits late Oct and peaks mid Nov. You should hit it pretty good and I am hoping to get out about the same time frame.

Default species specific?

Are bleat calls pretty standard for all deer or is there one for blacktails specific? I have never hunted deer so I really dont know what one sounds like. If I were to watch these shows on cable, are the bleat calls they demonstrate pretty accurate to what you are saying you use? Thanks.

I haven't seen the tv show guys use the type of bleat call I'm refering to. There is a stretched rubberband inside, usually between two pieces of wood. Most are custom made and can be bought in local sporting good stores at least in Southeast. I just bought a call that eastmans make it is plastic and uses the rubberband. I haven't used one but it sounds really good. I picked it up @ Sportsman warehouse on my home from moose hunting.

Any luck with grunts? How often do you call in bears?

I subsisted on Sitka Blk tails and guided hunts for them for years. I wouldn't get all mixed up in grunts, rattling and what ever else you may see on Drury outdoors or the outdoorlife channel. Stick to the call I suggested and you'll do ok if they are in the Love mood. If your hunting any sex deer the call will attract does through out the season. As for bears I also use the same call to stop and or call Brown bears. Yes they like the call also, a friend of mine was mauled in SE while calling. So yes be careful.

Bears knows the sound of a good dinner bell. I've called them in with cow calls before.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Ive hunted lots of Deer and I've called lots of critters, but I've never even tried to call a deer. Only info I have gotten is second hand from other PWS hunters, so I've got a pretty basic follow on question. What exactly is a fawn bleat? I understand the type of call you're talking about, but not really sure what I'm supposed to sound like. Various stuff on you-tube from Outside only has me more confused. Any tips are appreciated.

Sure would be neat if one of you south-easterners could post up a video demonstrating the technique on youtube!

I grew up in Juneau and have hunted quite a bit down there. During the rut the call mentioned before with the rubber band works the best. I will try to descibe it best as possible.

Take two Pieces for wood. Like 1in wide by 3 inches long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Take the two pieces and lay them flat together. Looking at them from the side hollow out a small bit of each side of wood where they meet. I usually use a pocket knife to cut a couple slices off each piece of wood. Now when you put them together you should be able to see through a small 1/8 inch gap or so. Now wrap the rubber band around just one of the wood pieces. Make sure the rubberband is flat all around the wood piece. Now put the two pieces of wood together. You should be able to blow through the gap you made. Now strech the rubber band while holding the two pieces of wood to make the pitch higher. Once you have achieved the pitch you want you can wrap more rubber bands around both pieces of wood to secure the rubber band in place.

Wow that might be confusing but thought I would give it a try.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by AKCarl View Post
    I grew up in Juneau and have hunted quite a bit down there. During the rut the call mentioned before with the rubber band works the best. I will try to descibe it best as possible.

Take two Pieces for wood. Like 1in wide by 3 inches long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Take the two pieces and lay them flat together. Looking at them from the side hollow out a small bit of each side of wood where they meet. I usually use a pocket knife to cut a couple slices off each piece of wood. Now when you put them together you should be able to see through a small 1/8 inch gap or so. Now wrap the rubber band around just one of the wood pieces. Make sure the rubberband is flat all around the wood piece. Now put the two pieces of wood together. You should be able to blow through the gap you made. Now strech the rubber band while holding the two pieces of wood to make the pitch higher. Once you have achieved the pitch you want you can wrap more rubber bands around both pieces of wood to secure the rubber band in place.

Wow that might be confusing but thought I would give it a try.

Carl
    Would it be possible for you to take a picture of one of these? I am very interested in it?

I will see what I can do.

Carl

You can certainly make a crude handmade call that will bring 'em in.

The best call I've ever used is the Hank Masters call. The thing is build like a megaphone. They use a rubber band like most, but it's the volume you get. The handmade call's might bring 'em in from 100 yds, but a megaphone brings 'em in from 1/4 to 1/2 mile. You start loud and then tone it down.

For $40 bucks, it's a very good investement.

L.G. where can I find a hank masters call you are talking about?

if you can dig up the set of old A.D. Fish and Game magazines there was an article in one of them about making a deer call, I think it was fall of 87 or 88 it was in... Fun thing to thumb through wether you can find the atricle or not
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    L.G. where can I find a hank masters call you are talking about?
    Rayco Sales in Juneau has 'em