Thread: Fishing options - Anchorage area

Default Fishing options - Anchorage Visit

Hello all! First off, thanks for the site... seems that there are many knowledgable fisherman here.

I will be travelling to the Anchorage/Ft. Richardson area the 26th - 30th and will have a couple of days to myself to take a shot at fishing. Not being from the area, seems there are a LOT of choices of what I can fish for and where. I would love to hook into some of the native species (Rainbows, Dollys, etc.) and would like some information on where to try. I am looking at Campbell and Ship creeks, but would be willing to travel up Glenn Hwy to get into good numbers of fish. Also looking at wading the shallows of some of the stocked lakes.

I have a wide variety of tackle, and would prefer to fish with artificials (in-line spinners are my bread and butter). What weight/length rods should I bring?

Thanks in advance for any locations/tips you can offer, as well as other things to do/see in the area. I'm looking forward to my first trip to the great state of Alaska!

P.S. Forgot to mention that I will be practicing catch and release.

If you can, I would suggest setting up a guide.

I would love to get a guide, but a limited budget will keep me from that. I also want to see different areas so I'll likely be jumping around more than a guide would allow. Thanks for the input though!

Default I am inexperienced

as they come - but I believe that most folks in Alaska right now trying to catch rainbows and dollies would be imitating flesh flies and egg patterns........with a fly rod.

Fly rod is a bit rusty... would prefer the spinning gear. Where are these folks targeting the rainbows? I probably won't be as effective, but would still like to get my odds as good as possible. If not Rainbows, what's hot this time of year?

Thinking about heading up to Wasilla for a drive and some fishing. Any thoughts on Eklutna, Jim Creek, or Wasilla Creek?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make the most of this trip. Work is sending me and I don't know if I'll ever get another chance to go!

Spend $50 buy a float tube at sportsmens and fish stocked lakes, especially deeper ones, thats where the best trout fishing is, troll around spinners... Please use single hooks and pinch your barbs if you are releasing fish...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Actually swapping over the treble hooks on my spinners to singles right now. I would prefer fishing the rivers over the lakes. Fishing a lake would make me really miss my kayak!

Thinking of taking the drive to the Little Susitna now... looks like it may have more fishing options, and I'll get to see Wasilla! Any reports from there?

Might be some rainbows at the mouth of Willow or Montana Creek.

There are several places on the upper Kenai River that you can walk in to and catch some of the nicest trout of the year. Within a few hundred yards downstream of the Russian (Sportsmans) boat launch there is always some good action. You can also drive a few miles further to Jim's landing where most take out their drift boats, and fish the few hundred yards downstream from the parking lot. I have done pretty good there as well. There are several pull offs between these two spots to walk in to the river but keep a careful watch for bears and check the regulations before you go to be sure you are fishing within the law.

Well, I've decided to head north on day one, and south on day two. North to Willow, Montana, or Sheep Creeks. South to Bird creek, Six Mile creek, or further to Kenai. I'll make the decision on the plane tomorrow... unless y'all have any more input.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to report how I did!

Default your southern route

Casper, stop and try bird, don't waste too much time there. After that head directly to the kenai, it's well worth it. Good choice on the northern route

Default Skunked!

I can't believe it. I haven't been skunked in a long time, and for me to break the streak in Alaska???

Stopped by Sportsman's on Friday and the guy at the fly counter tied me up some flesh flies. Tried them and some others both dead drifting and with a float. Also threw spinners, ESLs, and everything else in the tackle box...

I switched days, and went to Kenai today. I went to Sportsman Launch, and a couple of other spots between there and Jim's and got nothing! Talked to a bunch of other folks and they were having the same results. Can't believe how pressured the area is! I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there when the salmon are running!

Went to Quartz Creek on a tip from an old timer - back by the mouth to the lake. Had one hit, but didn't close the deal.

Hope the north route gives me some better results. I'm not regretting making the trip south as the scenery was AWESOME, but wish I had caught a few to sweeten the deal.