Thread: Petersburg

Default Petersburg

Hello, I'm going to be in Petersburg next July. I'm looking for a guide recommendation for fly fishing for salmon and trout. Please post or PM me with details if you know anyone. I have done a search and have had no luck.

Well been doing some reading and it appears that most of the salmon fishing in Petersburg is combat fishing. Maybe this is why I'm unable to find a guide.

Is there any good fly fishing opportunities to be had in the Petersburg area. Changing the location of my trip is not an option, so I will have to find my best options to fly fish for salmon and trout.

I know guys in my party will want to spend a day at Blind Slough, how will i fair there with a fly rod?

This is my first time going to Alaska so any advice will be helpful?

Petersburg is really not combat fishing, I'm sure the cabin hole on the creek and Blind Slough has a bunch of locals on any given day but its really not combat fishing. Really there's little need for a guide there, should be great humpy fishing, great dolly fishing, probably some cutts maybe some kings in blind slough some reds in the remote streams as well. I went down there in may for steelhead, saw like 3, but caught an insane amount of dollies. Blind slough is definately fly fishable.

I would bet the folks at Juneau Fly Fishing goods might know a good guide down there. Google them... You might also contact Fly Away fly shop in Sitka and the Fly Shop in Ketchican (forget what its called). Also Doyles Boat Rental rents boats for self guided in Petersburg and they have great information. Petersburg is a great little town, I highly reccomend it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fly shop in Ketchikan is called "the Hook up", leastways last I checked..

Thanks for the advise guys I'll look into your suggestions. I can't wait to do this trip. I'm booking my plane ticket this week. We already have our house booked.

Whoa, Combat fishing in Petersburg??? Sounds like some bad, or err Good???, info there. Great fishing, great town, great time.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    Whoa, Combat fishing in Petersburg??? Sounds like some bad, or err Good???, info there. Great fishing, great town, great time.
    I only said this because that was what I read in "Flyfisher's guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. I'm happy to hear that this information is misguiding. The term combat fishing was used to refer to snagging practices in Blind river and Blind slough.

Blind Slough is has a hatchery run of kings, hatchery runs of kings bring out the freezer filling bunch, combat fishing is a relative term, 5 or 6 people in an area of petersburg is a lot, you'll see nothing like the kenai down there though... Petersburg is a nice place enjoy
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.