Thread: ? about shrink wrap

Default ? about shrink wrap

were is the best place in Anchorage to get it done, also is it worth it, thanks

Default Shrink Wrapping

Worth every penny! I just had mine done yesterday and did it last year as well. I'm not sure what you'll pay in Anchorage but here in the Valley Carl from Dura-Wrap comes to your house and does it for between 10-12 dollars a foot. I believe he owns an office in Anchorage as well but you'd have to call him to confirm. His number is: 373-3443
    He also installed a zipper access so I can get in to set her up in the spring.

Best of luck,
    BB

Default this place does it

They did mine last year, also with the zipper. Snow slides right off, sometimes you need a broom to assist, but still not much effort like tarping it. Will most likely have it done again this season. 522-8965 Seems like his prices would be similar to what the other paid, not 100% sure though. Just call and ask.

thanks will give them a call,

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    Worth every penny! I just had mine done yesterday and did it last year as well. I'm not sure what you'll pay in Anchorage but here in the Valley Carl from Dura-Wrap comes to your house and does it for between 10-12 dollars a foot. I believe he owns an office in Anchorage as well but you'd have to call him to confirm. His number is: 373-3443
    He also installed a zipper access so I can get in to set her up in the spring.

Best of luck,
    BB
    Carl is really good at it and it's nice having it done at the house. I have let him use my shop from time to time because of some early frost/late customers. Him and his crew can get you buttoned up in a couple of hours and it will weather the winter snow well.

If any one needs a late season warm spot to wrap up the boat season let me know.

Default Carl

What a great guy with a great crew! If you live in the Valley there's no better place to go!

Default Waited late

I need to give Carl a call.

Default Corrosion?

I spoke to a guy the other day at a local shop and he said he wouldn't recommend shrink wrapping because of the amount of moisture it holds in and promotes corrosion. Any of you guys who have done it experienced any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    I spoke to a guy the other day at a local shop and he said he wouldn't recommend shrink wrapping because of the amount of moisture it holds in and promotes corrosion. Any of you guys who have done it experienced any problems?

They put dissecant bags in to help with mositure. Also just make sure it is vented. Keep as many compartments in the boat open as possible. Also ensure the inside of the boat is dry to start with.

Over the winter it's not a big issue. As Alaska winters tend to be fairly dry. Summer time is a different story especially with a summer like this last one where things just would not dry out.

Here is an analogy for you. You have a cover over your outboard motor do you build condensation when not in use??????????????

Done mine for years with no issues. My '97 North River was done since new till I bought it in 2004(previous owner was my best friend). Now I store everything inside.

Default Wrapping

I don't see how trapped moisture could be a problem if it's done properly. Carl and his guys (they're awesome) toweled off my boat because it had rained the day before, then threw in a couple of the silaca (sp?) gel crystal bags before they wrapped it. Also he punches in a couple of vents up top that allow the boat to breath without water getting in. My hull was bone dry last year when I removed the cover and personally wouldn't leave it any other way for the winter, we spend way too much money on those toys! I also had him istall the access door so I have a cool fort for the winter.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I already invested too much time and effort on the tarp. (windy day, working by myself, long frustrating story) I'll definitely consider wrapping the sport jon next year. Anyone know of anyone in Fairbanks who does wrapping?

Default What do the big ocean boats get covered with?

Ocean boat owner view point; My Sea Sport could sit out without a cover, many do, but I build a wood frame and tarp mine. I do this so I can work around anywhere on it all winter and so I don't have to wait for the snow to melt to use it. My tarp is gigantic and the frame work may as well be a building frame, it all has to go above the radar/light mast. My tarp cost around $200 and the wood frame about $100, shrink wrap would be outragous! My dream is to either build a frame/tarp building or buy one of the "Tent & Tarp" set ups from them. The big issue is the top of my boat is right at 13ft and about 30ft in length. WHAT DO YOU GUYS WITH THE BIG OCEAN BOATS DO FOR COVERS AND BUILDINGS?

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    WHAT DO YOU GUYS WITH THE BIG OCEAN BOATS DO FOR COVERS AND BUILDINGS?
    I do nothing. Mine is aluminum with a sealed rear deck. The door is a slider, so I have easy access even with snow. If the snow on the aft deck bothers me I will just shovel it out. I get way too much wind at the house to tarp it. Ideally I would extend my garage so that I could park inside and have it heated or at least a carport. It just takes money.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Pole Barn

Ours winters in a simple pole barn which is nice come spring when the boat projects start coming around and 30 degrees feels warm again. The following link has an interesting building style that does not look very involved and reasonable investment if you have the space. I would try two layers of reinforced plastic. Appears to minimize the frost on the inner layer, for the times we get warm enough mid winter too melt off, on a white tarp Costco tent frame.

http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

This is my frame before I throw a tarp over it and tie it down good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beetle, I ordered up plans for the shed/building you provided the link for. Twenty bucks to see what they have to offer, might be the hot set-up or not, we will see what its all about. Thank you Beetle!