Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak hunt partner needed

Exclamation Kodiak hunt partner needed

Fellow outdoorsmen & women,
    I was lucky enough to draw a Kodiak bear tag for this fall. Unfortunately, all my usual partners aren't available so I'm looking for a partner. My plan is to fly to Kodiak on the 23rd of October, into the field on the 24th, hunt 25 Oct - 3 Nov, back to Kodiak on 4 Nov (already booked everything). I'm planning on going no matter what since I don't want to miss out on this once in a lifetime chance, but would rather have a partner than go solo. We'll be looking for deer as well (and caribou if they wander our way). I'll pay for the fly out and back because I'd hate for someone to pay and come home empty handed if the deer don't cooperate (though if you want to split the return leg costs if you get something I won't complain). I've got the base camp, bear fence, and sat phone all covered. If anyone is interested, let me know either here, or PM, or e-mail. Thanks.

Paul

Default Kodiak Bear

Can you hunt Raspberry Isand with your tag? I have a cow elk tag. People I talked to said plenty of bear once there's a gut pile. I'll split costs. My hunt opens Oct. 22nd.

Default Unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Riverlover View Post
    Can you hunt Raspberry Isand with your tag? I have a cow elk tag. People I talked to said plenty of bear once there's a gut pile. I'll split costs. My hunt opens Oct. 22nd.
    Unfortunately no. I drew a DB220 tag for the Spiridon Bay/Spiridon River area. Please let me know if you would like any more info. I'm still looking... and getting excited about the trip no matter what.

Paul

crud man, i got no clients this fall on kodiak, i'd love to go but the wife will be home and frown on me being gone for kicks and grins, otherwise i'd be on this in a heartbeat!! have a great hunt no matter what, bears will be more active real early and real late this time of year. best of luck, good plan going in the day before season, did a hunt last year and two residents were in the bay with me 4 days before season started, camped 600 yards from the salmon stream...yep you guessed it, bears were gone by the 23rd....
    good thinking have a blast!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Question kodiak

I may be interested, what area do you have?

Default Man, what a tease...

Jake,
    Why do you have to go and tease me like that man... You sure you don't want to give me a special good friend deal rate like airfare and a hotel room to take me as a client? If nothing else just to fool the wife? Just kidding.

I do appreciate all the advice and help you have given me this year, I hope it all pays off. I'm excited and can't wait to get there to see what I've gotten myself into (my wife is getting nervous about the thought of me hunting solo, but doesn't want me to miss out on this chance of a lifetime since we're moving next fall). I also would like to put a thanks out there to Mike Munsey (another Kodiak Guide) for his advice for the area I drew.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    crud man, i got no clients this fall on kodiak, i'd love to go but the wife will be home and frown on me being gone for kicks and grins, otherwise i'd be on this in a heartbeat!! have a great hunt no matter what, bears will be more active real early and real late this time of year. best of luck, good plan going in the day before season, did a hunt last year and two residents were in the bay with me 4 days before season started, camped 600 yards from the salmon stream...yep you guessed it, bears were gone by the 23rd....
    good thinking have a blast!!

Fuse,
    I sent you a PM.

Default Hunt details

Since a lot of folks have asked, here are my details for anyone else interested (based on the original plan with my buddy that can't make it):
    I drew a DB220 tag for the Spiridon Bay/Spiridon River area.

I'm flying into Kodiak on the 23rd in the afternoon. I've got a room reserved at the Best Western with double beds and am flying out at noon on the 24th with Andrew Air. I've got it set up for a Cessna 206, so we've got room for 750 pounds of hunters and gear.

I've talked a lot to Mike Munsey (a guide for my area) to make sure I'm not "that guy" like Jake ran into with his clients that got dropped off right next door during one of his hunts (look for the thread, it makes a good story and reminder of the ethics of hunting that my grandfather taught me). I'll be setting up camp in Weasel Cove off of Spiridon Bay Mike has assured me I will be out of his way. He hunts there sometimes and I wanted to make sure we won't be a conflict for him or his clients that will be several (6+) miles away and we shouldn't see each other through our hunts. I am getting there in the early afternoon to set up camp and take an initial look at the area since the season starts the next day on the 25th. I've got the camp almost ready to ship to include tent, water filter and jugs, bear fence (hot wire), food, stove, packs, knives, tent heater, etc...).

I'm planning on hunting from 25 Oct until pickup mid-afternoon on 4 November. I'll be looking for "the" bear, of course, but also deer, and if it happens our way, caribou.

I've got a sat phone and Andrew Air told me they can try to pick me up early if I call them and we finish early. I've got a Beaver reserved, so we have an extra 750 pounds on the way out (1500 total of hunters, meat, capes, and gear) for whatever else we get. I'm planning on flying back to Fairbanks on the 5th of November.

If you are interested, please let me know. Like I said, I've got everything covered, but if you would like to split the fly back to Kodiak with me if you have luck as well I'd appreciate it, but not demand it. I would like to meet anyone seriously interested in person before I say yes or no. I want to make sure that I get along with someone before I commit to spending 2 weeks with them in the bush (even though it's only 25 days away and counting). Just understand that I'm a military guy in decent shape, don't smoke, don't drink on hunting trips for safety reasons. My priorities in the woods are always safety for me and my partner first, survival for the long term just in case, a fair and enjoyable hunt, equal opportunities (i.e. I get the bear, you get the first pick of everything else), and success in the hunt if the good Lord wills it. I would rather have a good, challenging, and rewarding trip with lots of memories, than have a bear down and someone wishing they could shoot me and ready to leave (or me being scared for my safety because we "have to get to that animal.")

If you are interested or have any questions, please let me know.

On a side note: If anyone has some advice on how to get capes and meat back from Kodiak to Fairbanks, I would appreciate it. I've got all the AK Airlines cargo known shipper data, but I don't know if I trust them to 1)not lose it or 2)get it there in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Replis

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Fuse,
    I sent you a PM.
    AKflyfisher,
    I sent you a reply from my personal e-mail. Thanks.

Paul

Default sent pm

If you're still looking, fuse, I pm'd you as well. Its tough getting a good partner last minute, but it can be done!

dang-it Fuse If the wife did not deploy herself Id have gone with ya,as Im looking into a Deer hunt on Kodiak or PWS next year myself and that would ahve been a great opportunity.ANyhow I do wish you the best of luck.Daniel

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Fuse have you checked into the ferry ride from Kodiak back to Seward or Anch???? this may help getting your cape and such back and possible save on air fare also...just a thought i haven't been on it in years so dint know the cost ...last time i used ferry was a family of 8, a gmc suburban, with a 22 foot trailer, and berthing Valdez- Washington cost 2300 bucks...

any way tossing it out there

good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Pm sent to ya.

What i didn't mention is what i did to get my hide back from the AK Peninsula this year. I just brought it back with me on the plane in a wax fish box. Then shipped a bag of my gear back air freight. This might not be the cheepest way to do it but at least you know were that hide is at all times.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Fuse have you checked into the ferry ride from Kodiak back to Seward or Anch???? this may help getting your cape and such back and possible save on air fare also...just a thought i haven't been on it in years so dint know the cost ...last time i used ferry was a family of 8, a gmc suburban, with a 22 foot trailer, and berthing Valdez- Washington cost 2300 bucks...

any way tossing it out there

good luck

Vince,
    I looked into the ferry but it didn't look like they would be running in late Oct-early Nov. I've already committed to the plane tickets, etc and this trip is suprisingly affordable compared to what I thought I'd be spending on a DIY hunt. I appreciate the advice and I hope to share some good stories with you guys when I get back if nothing else. Thanks again.

Paul

Default Still looking

Quote Originally Posted by keelermk View Post
    What i didn't mention is what i did to get my hide back from the AK Peninsula this year. I just brought it back with me on the plane in a wax fish box. Then shipped a bag of my gear back air freight. This might not be the cheepest way to do it but at least you know were that hide is at all times.
    Keelermk,
    I got your PM and a reply is on the way. I appreciate the advice. That is what I was thinking as well (I'm only checking 1 bag, maybe 2 anyway on the way there). I was worried about weight limits on bags since I have heard estimates of hides being 150+ pounds if it's huge (I'd be happy with anything the way this year has gone so far... ok... maybe not anything... I'd hate to shoot a 3 year old...know what I mean?). Thanks for all the help, look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    Keelermk,
    I got your PM and a reply is on the way. I appreciate the advice. That is what I was thinking as well (I'm only checking 1 bag, maybe 2 anyway on the way there). I was worried about weight limits on bags since I have heard estimates of hides being 150+ pounds if it's huge (I'd be happy with anything the way this year has gone so far... ok... maybe not anything... I'd hate to shoot a 3 year old...know what I mean?). Thanks for all the help, look forward to hearing from you.

Paul
    the 8 footer i shot this spring was at least 150. on the scale it was all i could do to load and unload it at the sealing station, ( and i am in shape)

so lets toss this out there do you know a good Taxidermist????

cut it in half and mail it back
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Heard that before

the 8 footer i shot this spring was at least 150. on the scale it was all i could do to load and unload it at the sealing station, ( and i am in shape)

so lets toss this out there do you know a good Taxidermist????

cut it in half and mail it back

Vince,
    I've been using Charlie Livingston at AK Wilderness Arts for all my work. I've heard of guys cutting them in half, but I'm planning on avoiding that at all costs. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time fleshing and salting in the field so I can pack and check it on the way home. If not I'll have to try cargo on the same flight (with a really early drop off). Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Hi Fuse, I shipped a bear hide to Anchorage this past spring, from Kodiak. I went to Wal-mart and bought a bin and put it in, duct taped it up and checked it as bagage and If I remember it right it was around $50.00 extra. The folks at Alaska Airline in Kodiak are great to work with and will help you as they are quite familar with shipping bear hides. They will have ans. for any questions so don't be shy. Have a great hunt and good luck.

Paul i was being smart arse on cutting it...... i have some over at Charlie's currently as well i cant wait to see his finished work...

i think best bet is freight services they can freeze or chill it for you too.

meet on face book here

Default Worth it

Paul i was being smart arse on cutting it...... i have some over at Charlie's currently as well i cant wait to see his finished work...

i think best bet is freight services they can freeze or chill it for you too.
    Vince,
    No kidding, there is another thread on here that talks about if you have to cut it, but I wouldn't dream of doing that. I'm planning on fleshing and salting the heck out if it in the field, so freezing won't be an option.

I can't wait for my stuff from Charlie as well. He's running a little behind, but I don't care, it's worth the wait.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast