Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our NW Alaska Float hunt

Default Our NW Alaska Float hunt

We left out of Kotz on the 10th of Sept not to return till the the 20th.
    Mike from Ram Avaition Flew us out to a diffrent river than what we planned on due to not many Bou on the Kelly or the kug, wich was fine with us we wanted to Caribou hunt! so he put us on the Noatak wich really turned out to be a great trip..as he was comming in for our landing on a gravel bar about 60 head of bou crossing the river right where he was putting us Nice!! So my fianc'e and I got out and unloaded quickly so he could go get our 3rd person off he went.
    Mike showed up with our friend and off he went,so we finished up seeting camp.
    Here is a couple of bear's that came up river not far from camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Day 2 we all hiked up the inlet river where all the Bou was crossing and found a good spot to Glass well we seen about 3 diffrent lil heards of about 30-40 head come through mostly all cows and calfs & a few small bulls so we headed back to camp our bear friends came back had to yell and look big & they ran off.
    Day 3 did same hike seen alot of Bou again all cows and calfs and small bulls..We headed back to camp started dinner when I looked down river and another group crossing the river and in the back it looked like a shooter bull so I dropped my plate and grabed my rifel and ran about 200yrds trying to get to him before he crossed..Too late he was in the water so I waited & way out of breath he hit the bank stopped to shake off Bang!! I missed cant hold still so out of breath Bang!!! now I was High WHAT THE!! Deep breath Bang!!! He droped Yess!! Oh yeah I told my finace I wouldn't shoot across river since we didn't have the raft pummed up yet....Ooops! 1st Bou day 3 9pm so big rush to air up the raft toget to the other side and bring back the bou got back about 10:30pm Oh yeah hes not as big as he looked

Default Our NW Alaska Float hunt.

Day 4 Got up 1/4 up the Bou and look down river and here comes 3 Musk Ox came right through camp I think I got a lil to close so I took a buch of pics and let them move on.

Default NW Alaska Float Hunt

A few More pics.

Day 4 We pack up camp and load the raft Plan on Floating 13mi to the next river the flows into Noatak..It was a very nice float A lil to slow for me? way to much paddling We find the spot we was looking for see lots of Bou sighn crossing through there windy as heck!! so we set up camp unload the meat and gear have some grub...I walk down to the river to wash the pans and across river is one big ole bear! so he keeps comming our way so we try yelling go away Bear!! lol Right! he don't care so my partner shoots a warning shot since he is about 40yrds away Bear don't care just looks at us?? So he yells Bear dont care? kinda does his own thing and kinda wanders down river? Well that night My fiance wakes me up She hears somthing?? Im not really awake and dont hear nothing and go back to sleep?? I get up in the morning and check the meat & That **** bear took the Backstrap bag & a highn 1/4 bag I guess he new the good meat??? so we deside to Pack up and move out of the bears kitchen.

Default Our Float Hunt

So we find another river that flows into the Noatak and start our float we float about 14mi and find the spot and it looks like a pretty good crossing and a plane can land as well so we make camp & its alot warmer here that our 1st camp and the white sox were out in force!! Next morning we do a lil hiking to find a spot to glass find a good spot glass all day nothing?? kinda bummed starting to think we floated out of the bou Went back to camp had dinner and another bear came down river and about 30ft from camp My partner pulled his 44 out and yelled at the bear and he was gone never to see again Next day got up and done a lil early glassing and nothing?? came back to camp to eat breakfast and kinda bummed Cuz I really want my finace to get her first bou after 3 failed shots on 3 diffrent hunts I think she wanted it as much as i did? maybe? Eating breakfast I look up above camp on the hill behind us I YELL Bou!! My Friend Soren grabs his rifel and the bou stops broadside Bang!! nothing he starts walking off I whistle he stops Bang!! Bou down.

Default Our Float Hunt

So we get back to camp hang the meat and relax a bit & watch a groub of about 25 bou cross the river in front of us so we think of a game plan for the morning eat and off to sleep..We get up eat breakfast and Soren say he is going down river where the bou have been crossing to watch that area and we were going up top to glass the valley...We finally get to the top I lay down hand the binos to the finace and say wake me when you see bou I look at the time and temp on my watch WOW 69' a lil hot with not a cloud in the sky..i think to my self no bou today to hott!! So im off in lala land when Cheyenne wakes me up Bou Bou!! I look up and they are about 1/2 mile comming our way and so is the wind sweet!! So we get up and get a lil closer and find a good bush to hide behind I look in through the binos and see a few good shooter bulls I tell Cheyenne to get ready the head of the group start walking right to us the fist ones are about 60yrds from us walking past us..I tell her the shooters are comming up the rear of the heard so she starts getting ready when Bang! Bang! what the hell?? Soren must see the same bou??? Bang! another I hope he know's where we are??? I think to my self?? now all the bou scatter and the bulls get together and run up towards us the are within 160yds I tell Cheyenne take the one in the rear I try to get out my shooting staff for her to use as a rest but she can't wait so she stand's up and BANG! the bou stops Shoot again!! Bang!! Bou down YES BABE!! I hug her and look over and see the 4 other bulls running off about 170yds Im going to take one Bang!! Bou down!!Yes I say Oh Sh*t its almost 70 out and we have 2 bou down then I see Soren stand up and he has got one down also..Now the real work begins..This was @ 3pm and we where back to camp a mile away before 10pm with all 3 Bou..I'll tell ya we slept good that night!!

Default Our Float Hunt

So the next day we deal with the meat and call for a early pick up and he cant make it till the next day wich is fine with us now its time to relax..we start to see alot more Bou comming through now that we have enough meat so the next day the send in 2 planes to pick us up and drop off some hunters we meet tell them where the bou are comming from and where they have been crossing GOODLUCK!! And off we went back to Kotz flying out seen a few hundred Bou more MuskOx and a black wolf Wow what a place!!!

Great story, reilly - thanks for sharing! There is nothing better than marrying a woman who hunts. My wife didn't hunt when I met her either, but before the wedding I took her afield a few times to make sure she was the one. Tell your fiance congratulations on her first caribou. Good stuff!

Default Our Float

A couple more: Oh yeah Cheyenne's Bou has a few busted tines & No she didn't shoot them off he must have been a brawler cuz he had almost all his tines broke off..Opps she blames me for telling her to shoot that one My bad??

Default Great Job

Thanks for the report and photos. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Thumbs up One of my dream trips!

Sometimes I wish we didn't start school until October or November...pretty tough to make trips like yours right now.
    Still on the bucket list though

Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a grand time and very successful, congrats to all of you!! Is that a Levitator your floating in? How did you like it?

Default Levitator

Akhunter~Yeah its a Lev & I love it more and more every trip My partner Soren was amazed everytime we came to shallow water like 5-6inches with 3people & all our gear & Bou & wouldn't drag bottom..It was his first time in the Lev He is now looking for one!

I used one in 06 on a moose hunt and loved it also, I might have to throw down myself and get one for next years moose float hunt. You done good man and should be proud!!

Default Congrats

Wonderful story. Sounds like you had some fun with the bears

Default tell her not to worry about a few broken tines...

My bou from last year broke part of one bez off, an entire shovel, and most of the points off both of his tops. Taxidermist told me he had several cuts and gouges in his face and neck from fighting. I figure it just adds character. But he was DEFINITELY a brawler.

I just got him back from the taxidermist a few days ago, but sorry folks, no pics for at least a few weeks. The movers came today and packed everything up for the move down to the lower 48.

Nice job man. Great story. Only problem is now I've got even more raft envy and your avatar ain't helping either

Default Congrats to everyone

but why didn't you guys shoot some bears? Especially the large one that could have been trouble? No tags, looks like some of you are residents? Just curious is all, combo hunts are always cool and seems like it would help pay for the trip. Ends up with more taxidermy bills though!

Thanks for sharing that story Reilly. I love to read real stories from real people. Great pictures too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast