Thread: Marmot Helium vs. EQ

Default Marmot Helium vs. EQ

Looking at either the Marmot Helium or the Helium EQ for a new bag for sheep hunting. Does the water resistant material hold in moisture while you sleep at night and make the bag damp? Is the extra weight worth the water resistant material?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Cant answer all your questions but I will throw in my $.02 about the Helium (non-eq). I bought one last year and when I received it the first thing I did was go to the bathroom, sit on the edge of the tub, stop up the drain, and turn on the shower. I slipped into it and I let the shower hit it for about 20 minutes, periodically dipping my les and the bag into the standing water. When I completed this procedure every single drop of water ran right off the bag with a good shake. Not even the stitching absorbed water. So whatever they are doing in the production of these down bags its good stuff. I will admit that since it was so wet this fall I chickened out at the last minute and didn't take it on my sheep hunt, and with the cool nights we had I wished I had. Will definately use it next year, and I did use it for a spring griz hunt this year and it worked like a charm with some fairly cool nights (near freezing).

Default I think

It will work great. I used a western mountainering this year on some very wet trips. It kept me very warm and comfy.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default EQ

I have the EQ and have had it on one Kodiak goat hunt with no issues and it will be going with me in a few days for my sheep hunt. I also did the water test on it and it performed as advertised. I have climbed into it with wet stuff on, not soaked but damp enough to be uncomfortable and it has shed the moisture from the inside pretty good as well.

Default Non EQ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Cant answer all your questions but I will throw in my $.02 about the Helium (non-eq). I bought one last year and when I received it the first thing I did was go to the bathroom, sit on the edge of the tub, stop up the drain, and turn on the shower. I slipped into it and I let the shower hit it for about 20 minutes, periodically dipping my les and the bag into the standing water. When I completed this procedure every single drop of water ran right off the bag with a good shake. Not even the stitching absorbed water. So whatever they are doing in the production of these down bags its good stuff. I will admit that since it was so wet this fall I chickened out at the last minute and didn't take it on my sheep hunt, and with the cool nights we had I wished I had. Will definately use it next year, and I did use it for a spring griz hunt this year and it worked like a charm with some fairly cool nights (near freezing).
    And this was with the non-EQ model? If that's the case, I am thinking the extra weight and expense of the EQ is not worth it? I wonder if there are any tests showing how little the insulate if the down does get soaked? I'm thinking it would still insulate some, just not as much as wet synthetic insulation?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Given the choice I'd go with weather resistance. But I bought an REI sub Kilo bag on sale instead. It is not advertised to be weather resistant in any way, but water beads up and sits on the fabric without soaking in. I've used it in miserable rainy conditions and climbed into it with damp clothes and socks. It worked great. I'll be sleeping in it tonight in a place where rain is the norm. But I'll have my gore-tex bivy close by just in case the tent leaks. Had it not been for the hot REI sale and already owning a bivy I'd have bought a different down bag with weather protection. It's cheaper and lighter than a bag and bivy combo.